Wiring bathroom extractor fan from lighting circuit

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Mack Eater, Sep 14, 2006.

1. ShortCircuit48

ShortCircuit48 New Member

WU not you

P You appear to want to pick and choose.

You are correct the E GUIDE TTBR does suggest that when you have a window a fan does not need its own means of isolation. The next sentence then condraticts this by saying that fans with over-ride do require isolation. Which do you want to choose in a room with a window?

476-02-03 indicates that every motor, which a fan is, shall be provided with a disconnector. Further choice, do you want to comply with the regulation or the guide? What side do you think a jury would come down on.

"most of my customers would not want an ugly fan switch"
    What if they did not like green and yellow bonding cable. "OK I will not bond"

The Regs are there for safety and not for a pick what suits me best

2. trunky

trunky New Member

I've read this thread with mirth

Forced Ventilation in bathrooms is a requirement of building regs with a run on fan.
    I can only assume that the LABC do not have much electrical knowledge but have heard the word isolation.

Isolation - A function intended to cut off for reasons of safety the supply from all of <u>every</u> source of electrical energy

For any equipment that will require maintenance (fan in this case) a means of isolation should be present and it is good practise for the isolator to in view of the equipment or have a locking feature.

Light switches are not isolators but functional switching

How to wire fan isolator - http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Technical/DataSheets/MK/3_Pole_FanIsolator.pdf

3. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

A fan is required in any bathroom,even if it has a
    window as far as I know.
    The obvious flaw with these fans which come on with
    the light is that if you take a **** in daylight they
    aren,t any use.
    An extractor linked to the water flow would be more
    sensible so probably won,t ever happen.

You can use a PIR actuated fan to negate the ***** in daylight scenario..must admit fitted mine..T + E to cable (must still use DP isolator for maintenance but this is sensible..good reg) everything hunky dory..no faffing about..I like that.

4. ShortCircuit48

At whom?

5. trunky

trunky New Member

At whom?

no one in particular but some the replies made me chuckle but if the cap fits?

6. Legal Sparrow

Legal Sparrow Member

I think I agree with paul. If the room has a window you don't need isolation. Since you can isolate at the CU.

In effect this is just the same as a ceiling rose. You don't have an isolation point so that you can replace a ceiling rose if it happened to break at night. You wait until daylight!

With the overrun I could see that maybe this is useful if the fan developed a fault, and wouldn't stop running, you could then isolate it and still have lights. But I'd say it's marginal if this scenario is likely enough to require a switch be fitted.

One other point. If the noise of a fan annoys you and stops you dropping off to sleep, the isolation switch is great. Flick that on/off after a late nite **** and that annoying fan buzz won't stop you returning to the land of nod.

7. ShortCircuit48

No wonder you read this with mirth.

A Guide now takes precedence over a Regulation

I give up

8. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Aye..the humble bathroom extraction fan..such a simple thing..however it is often the simple things which attract greater debate....:D

9. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

I ***** you not....:D

10. trunky

trunky New Member

Legal sparrow

I think I agree with paul. If the room has a window you don't need isolation. Since you can isolate at the CU.
    WTF I'm LMAO so when you have your fingers in the fan someone can go to CU and restore power plus the fact if you have just pulled fuse or switched MCB off that's not isolation, not unless you have thrown main switch on CU.

Any thanks for the amusement

11. Ripped Off

Ripped Off New Member

WTF I'm LMAO so when you have your fingers in the fan
    someone can go to CU and restore power plus the fact
    if you have just pulled fuse or switched MCB off
    that's not isolation, not unless you have thrown main
    switch on CU.

So you open up a 45A isolator for say a cooker, then how is this covered if you cant use the fuse or mcb for isolation

12. trunky

trunky New Member

I'm not sure what you mean by covered.
    If you open up a cooker isolation switch how can you be sure that it is not live when only pulling the fuse or switching off MCB or have you not come across reverse polarity

13. Ripped Off

Ripped Off New Member

Have you never come across a multimeter. Training, experience, padlocks. labels, isolation devices, lockable isolation covers, working alone.
    Trunky stick to the battery torch, much safer for you.
    M8 you'd ***** yersel working on high voltage gear if you cant get your prince albert around 240V.

14. trunky

trunky New Member

OOOH have I hit a nerve sorry
    Or is it handbags at dawn then!!!!

But hey even you RO must admit it does seem like the blind are leading the blind on here.

& when you work on 450Kv pulsed power let me know

15. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Fantastic....absolutely flippin fantastic....I will look upon my bathroom extractor fan as an object of worthiness from now on..o wondrous extractor fan.... I will cable thee with love and care....o wondrous extractor fan......

16. Ripped Off

Ripped Off New Member

& when you work on 450Kv pulsed power let me know

you mean a high voltage meggar

Pulsed Power at AWE involves the design and application of devices capable of producing many millions of volts and tens of thousands of amps for tens of nanoseconds.

17. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

18. Ripped Off

Ripped Off New Member

Just had a re-read of this think you may be in the wrong lighthouse

PrimeLine fan with run-on timer will only run with switched feed and feed linked. Fan will not run with a phase and neutral only.

So how does the light switch off if perm & switch lives are linked

19. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

PrimeLine fan with run-on timer will only run with
    switched feed and feed linked. Fan will not
    run with a phase and neutral only.

So if the switched feed is on and the feed is feeding and they are linked together..are they not as one? and would that not negate the switch line and vice versa?....

20. Ripped Off

Ripped Off New Member

looks that way but these fans may have one way links fitted AKA magic