Wiring bathroom fan heater

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by coolhandluke, Dec 15, 2014.

1. coolhandluke

coolhandluke New Member

Hi there. i'm looking for some advice on adding a fan heater in our bathroom, as there are no (well ideal) power sources available, apart from spurring off the immersion heater, and there is no access to the loft and no sockets nearby to spur off without doing a long run of cable round the houses.

So, whats left is the immersion heater circuit. As this is a radial circuit with 2.5mm T&E to a 16 amp mcb. it is not setup for the combined load. So i'm looking for a way round this, would it be viable to configure it so one can only be switched on at a time?
    This is the setup below:

[​IMG]

2. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Welcome to the world of the electrician! The only proper way of doing this is a new 16A radial circuit. If it means running a cable round a difficult route then that unfortunately is what you need to do. You cannot spur a load of 2kW off an immersion heater circuit, nor can you spur it off any other circuits. Heating loads of 2kW or more should be on a separate dedicated circuit.

FatHands likes this.
  3. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

As UP said, a new circuit is required in this situation!

4. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Or disconnect the immersion completely!

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

5. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Yes, that would be the other way.

6. coolhandluke

coolhandluke New Member

Unfortunately we've got no central heating so we rely on electric for hot water. I had thought it might be possible to use like a changeover switch in the airing cupboard so that whenever the fan is on, the immersion is off. But I can see that as being a big nono. Oh well

7. retiredsparks

retiredsparks Super Member

Interesting question.
    If a either/or switch was used ...each item DHW/heater would at any point in use be on a "dedicated circuit".
    I cannot see any regulation which covers/prohibits this setup(off top of head)
    Not ideal but perfectly safe.
    Some cookers have a selection switch system which allows only predetermined rings to be used in unison hence limiting the load.
    RS

8. coolhandluke

coolhandluke New Member

Thats what I thought. So if it's safe to do so, it's just a question of finding a suitable switch.

How about this? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SCL-IC220...ial_Automation_Control_ET&hash=item2a44f1b437

Last edited: Dec 16, 2014
  9. retiredsparks

retiredsparks Super Member

Looks goods...but I
    am prepared to be shot down in flames...lol
    RS

10. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

You know what I think I would agree that using something like a changeover switch could comply. After all it is serving the purpose. You might want to supplement the installation with information that the switch should not be removed and that it is fed from one circuit etc.

FatHands likes this.
  11. Mr. Handyandy

I would check the specification if you can find it. "2-pole" sounds like the switch only makes live(2 x live) and does not switch neutral! (If it matters at all!)

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

12. Caddy

Caddy Active Member

It will switch both live and neutral being 2 pole.

13. Mr. Handyandy

We'll see!

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

14. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Doesn't he need some kind of DPDT switch ( Double Pole Double Throw)?

Obviously it will need to be 230VAC rated.

15. Caddy

Caddy Active Member

That is effectively what that switch is, although it has an "off" position as well

16. Mr. Handyandy

We'll see!

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

17. coolhandluke

coolhandluke New Member

We certainly will. Switch on the way, thanks guys!

18. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Could you provide a link to the switch that you will be using, this could prove useful.

Thanks

19. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

20. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

On second thoughts it better to have to "OFF" position.