Wiring ceramic hob and a single oven

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by JennyD, Nov 16, 2014.

1. JennyD

JennyD New Member

Hi guys. We are renovating our kitchen and I could really do with advice on wiring oven/hob.
    There is a designated oven circuit with two 2.5mm2 twin and earth wires - one going to the oven and another one to the ceramic hob.
    The oven is rated at 0.93kw/cycle and the instructions say that minimum 2.5mm2 cable is required.
    The instruction for the ceramic hob do not specify the cable required but the supply is stated as "220-240V ~50Hz 5.04kW - 6.4kW".
    Could you please tell me if 2.5mm2 cables are enough for the above appliances?
    Thanks in advance.

2. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

The 2.5mm2 presumably heat resistant flex to ceramic hob is interesting tbqh - I wonder what answers will transpire.

3. JennyD

JennyD New Member

Both cables are 2.5mm2 twin & earth - one is behind a built-in oven and another one under the floor boards going to the hob in the kitchen island.

4. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Manufacturers cable stipulations are not being adhered to Wendy tbqh.,manufacturers stipulations override 7671 in some instances.

The two 2.5 cables presumably emanate from cooker fo plate/s with say 4/6mm dedicated to fo/s backed with a 30 amper and fed with with a 30ma device?

Maybe the adriatic equation covers the 2.5mm heat resistant flex cpc?

Last edited: Nov 16, 2014
  5. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

2.5 is not large enough for the hob.

6. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Exactly what I thought Lec

7. JennyD

JennyD New Member

Thanks for your replies guys. Would we need to replace it with 6mm2 or 10mm2? Also, is 2.5mm still good for the oven?

8. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

No probs Wendy - have a nice day love..:)

9. JennyD

JennyD New Member

So what type of cable should we use instead for the hob? Thanks.

10. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

I would use 4mm heat resitant flex for the hob Wendy - however being diy I think its best for a sparks to answer. The oven needs a tad more info to be put forth tbqh before a definative cable size can be chosen.

11. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

So why didn't you just put it in your first, constructive, reply then JP?:p

12. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

I don't know Mr R. Any chance of telling Wendy what exactly she needs for the cooker /hob - in my gaff stuff like that is no problem, but as I am not a sparks its best that one of you qualified chaps answers the ladies question. Thanks Mr R.

13. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

Hi Jenny,
    Do you have the model numbers to hand/links to your appliances?

14. JennyD

JennyD New Member

15. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

16. JennyD

JennyD New Member

Also, not sure of the relevance but feel like I should mention - we put the hob on full power (all four rings) and left it for 10 minutes and while the cable did get warm it wasn't hot.

17. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

''and another one under the floor boards going to the hob in the kitchen island''

Hi Wendy. With ref to the above - where does the above cable come from?

The way I read it is is that you have a 2.5mm T + E cable coming out of a cooker outlet plate and then running under the floorboards to the island which has another cooker outlet plate, and from this plate another length of 2.5 T +E goes to the hob?

The whole thing is totally unsuitable if this is the case tbqh, and a revamp would be required.

18. JennyD

JennyD New Member

There is one cooker outlet with two 2.5mm T&E cables coming out of it - one going to the oven and another one going to the hob in the island (under floor boards).

19. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

What size cable feeds the cooker outlet? I suspect its 4mm which is ok but then again it might be 6mm? and what size breaker in the consumer unit feeds this dedicated circuit?

20. JennyD

JennyD New Member

I am not sure but I think the outlet is being fed with 6mm (maybe even 10mm :oops: )cable. I have attached the photo of the breaker and there's also a 45amp switch.

[​IMG]