Wiring Diagram

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by bettyboop44, Oct 3, 2016.

1. bettyboop44

bettyboop44 Member

Hi

I am wanting to do some re-wiring in my Barn / Workshop , I wanted to do a design myself to show who ever is going to do the work , a lot of it is to re-do and upgrade sizes of old Red n Black cable with the same route that is there .

Could anyone on here have a look at my design / Plan and comment on it pls .

ps: I have done this with Excel , but can not attach a Excel file ! , could email to anyone ! .
    cheers

Anne.W

Attached Files:

2. bettyboop44

bettyboop44 Member

this may be a better attachment !

Attached Files:

3. stateit

stateit Screwfix Select

I wish all customers supplied me with a diagram along those lines to work to.

There's a couple of unneeded lines where lighting cables are duplicated on the runs where one switch operates more than one luminaire; there are some unnecessary cable size step-up/step downs; the 16A MCBs could as well be 20A; and maybe some other bits I've not yet noticed (!).

But it's certainly understandable and able to be worked from.

4. Why the junction boxes?
    They should not be required and the extra consumer units,use a properly sized 3 phase distribution board.

5. bettyboop44

bettyboop44 Member

Hi
    Thanks for your reply , yes I will try to reduce them , I am just thinking of making it easier to fit , I thought nice fat 45A juction boxes with meat would not have a detrimental effect on the circuit ! .

I am only using 2 of the phases , yellow n blue , I think to put a , " properly sized 3 phase distribution board " will cost me more than having 2 separate cu ! .

6. bettyboop44

bettyboop44 Member

Attached Files:

7. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

Junction boxes, however fat, should not exist on a new installation. Not best practise on an existing one and they need to be a special type if they are hidden/inaccessible.

Betty, I have spotted you posting the same diagrams and questions on at least two other electricians forums. Are you going to collect all of the responses, from all of the forums, and select the ones that fit in with your original idea?

bettyboop44 likes this.
  8. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

RCDs or RCBOs?

With your "Loft" area having power and lights on a single RCD may not be the best idea - power trips and you have no light! And possibly split the other CU with lights on a separate RCBO.

Have you considered Triple sockets? Certainly where you will have a workbench - they can be very useful.

bettyboop44 likes this.
  9. bettyboop44

bettyboop44 Member

Hi
    Thanks for your reply , I will try gather all the info and suggestions that I can , is one not allowed to put the same posting on more than one Forum ! .

10. bettyboop44

bettyboop44 Member

Hi
    Thanks for your reply , there is no lights in the loft area ! , only 2x switched double sockets on there own 16A mcb .

11. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

Not a problem. If you ask 3 electricians a question you are very likely to end up with more than one answer. I was just curious as to how you would sort the wheat from the chaff:)

bettyboop44 likes this.
  12. bettyboop44

bettyboop44 Member

:)
    Hi
    Thanks for your reply , understand what you are saying , but I am already getting info from more than 3 sparky's ! , on this forum ! .

13. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

Yes, and they may agree on here, as each respondent can see and (maybe) understand what each of them is saying. So a reply will be a concensus.
    Respondents here will not be aware of input from other forums so you may get confused input. But that's fine if you can cope with that.

bettyboop44 likes this.
  14. bettyboop44

bettyboop44 Member

Hi

Thanks again for your feedback , yes off course I understand , did not think of it that way , they are all saying more or less the same , it is not really answers I am wanting , just feedback for my design , where each bit of info that I get could say , " Oh yeh " then alter the drawing to suite .

I am really very happy with all the feedback I have had , wish I was a Sparky to use it more regular , no I didn't really mean that ha , now to show to some Sparky's for a quote , will come back here and post the quotes ( without naming anybody ) .

15. Pollowick

Your diagram shows lights in the rooms where you have loft sockets - am I missing something? And if you have sockets in the loft, what illumination will there be?

bettyboop44 likes this.
  16. bettyboop44

bettyboop44 Member

Hi
    Thanks for your reply , I did not know how to show sockets in a room above a room in my drawing that is why I wrote Loft sockets , sorry it is a bit confusing to say the least , no there is no lights up there at the moment , I am going to change the loft area , but need power up there , have a small 500W mobile flood for light at the mo , work will only be done during the day up there and there is a large window for light in the roof and at the gable end .

17. Pollowick

That explains it.

I would have drawn the loft rooms above the main drawing and annotated it as such with the wire going there.

Remember - what you think you might want today will be different to what you actually want tomorrow. As the work is being done now, it will be a minor increase to get a light circuit for the loft run in, even if it is left with wire coiled up and terminated in Wago connectors.

And still seriously think about getting the electrician to split the power and lighting load across RCDs or RCBOs. Even on the ground floor, taking out all power and leaving no lighting can be a nuisance.

bettyboop44 likes this.
  18. bettyboop44

bettyboop44 Member

Hi Guys
    Have done another updated version of this drawing , could you pls comment on it !

Attached Files:

19. Pollowick

I will still nag about putting lights on their own RCBOs ...

See you have one triple socket. think about a few more especially where there might be a workbench and a couple of chargers plugged in.

You also need to define the height of your sockets ... are they low level or are they above work top height? and if the latter, make sure they are well above.

bettyboop44 likes this.
  20. bettyboop44

bettyboop44 Member

Hi
    Thanks for your reply , Yes ALL the socket outlets are 1600mm from ground level , there will be no cables etc below that level .
    Question , RCBO not really sure what you mean , I can't have a RCBO fitted to a RCD cu , can I , it is not split ! , you mean I can replace the 6A mcb with a 6A RCBO .

cheers