Wiring for bathroom ceiling speaker

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Don63, Apr 21, 2016.

1. Don63

Don63 Member

I'm looking to fit a ceiling speaker in the bathroom driven by a bluetooth enabled amp. The amp would have to go in the loft, which then leads to my question of how to wire it in. The only connection in the loft is the lighting circuit. Can the amp be connected into this off a fused spur or is that a big no-no?

2. Pretty sure this isn't an issue, Don. Provided, as you say, you use a FSU with the amp wired directly to it and limited by a 3A fuse. (Ie - don't fit a 'socket' 'cos a twit could come along and plug a welder in there. C'mon - it's possible... :rolleyes: )

Is there a JB there you can tap in to? If not, you could insert a 3-terminal jobbie without even having to cut the existing lighting cable - if you remove a couple of inches of outer covering and then manipulate the L N & E to sit 'staggered' in the three terminals, you should be able to remove around a 1cm section of wire sleeving in the right places to sit in the terminals. Then drop in the short length of 1.5 T&E (or even 1mm) to go to your FSU.

You may have to cut the 'E' tho' so's you can slip on some sleeving. Personally I think I'd rather side-slice a bit of sleeving and slip it on without cutting the actual cable.

3. Don63

Don63 Member

Thanks DA, much appreciated.

4. frogger

frogger Member

Can you put the amp elsewhere (upstairs)? Then all that would need doing is to discretely run the speaker wire from the amp up through the ceiling into the loft. I know this isn't what you're asking and you've probably already considered this option anyway but I'm just putting the suggestion out there. ;)

5. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

When ever I see this kind of thing I wonder what other arsetrumpery has gone on elsewhere...

madhatter1uk likes this.
  6. madhatter1uk

madhatter1uk Screwfix Select

Ditto

7. HI dude!

Explain, please :)

8. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

If you may want to remove the amp from time to time (though can see why) run a 3 pin round socket from nearest lighting JB (ensuring uv connected to perm live and not switched) ! And connect amp with 3 A fused round pin plug

9. peter palmer

peter palmer Screwfix Select

Whats wrong with doing this? I have inserted a JB many times into a length of cable without chopping the cable in two. You can even do it live if you have a steady hand.

10. madhatter1uk

Well it's dangerous for one, the junction box can be removed and the bare wires left with tape over them, which I've seen done. Why would you want to mess about doing such a thing

11. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

What he said. Plus if your going to cut the earth might as well do the other two.

madhatter1uk likes this.
  12. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

Knock yourself out bro.;)

madhatter1uk likes this.
  13. peter palmer

WTF you could say that about anything. You cant put a socket in the wall because someone might remove it and tape the ends up and plaster it in (which I've seen done) again, WTF.

14. Well, I have to confess that wasn't the answer I was expecting!

Really, that's it?

Someone could come along, remove the JB and leave wires exposed? And this wouldn't happen had the wires been cut first?

Really, Col? You added your 'trumpy comment to this post for that?

Jeepers... :oops:

15. madhatter1uk

No, because the two ends of the cable would come apart, you'd put a connector on it at least.

16. peter palmer

So a connector joining a bit of T&E together is so much better than an intact cable with tape on it. If someone is daft enough to just tape up a cable like that then its odds on that same person would probably just use a 6 amp connector for joining a ring main cable back together tightening it with a neon screwdriver.

17. madhatter1uk

Yes it is, because it's recognised as a joint. Why would you not want to cut it.

18. peter palmer

Well take a ring main, why add yet another screwed joint into the circuit, the main loop stays intact and the only joint is for the spur cable.

19. madhatter1uk

Why wouldn't you want to put another joint in