Wiring LAP GU10 240v LEDs

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by TimD, Nov 27, 2014.

1. TimD

TimD New Member

Planning to install a chain of 5 downlighters in the kitchen in place of 3 Halogen Spots. It isnt clear to me whether they should be in series or parallel. Would appreciate advice. Thanks

2. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Parallel!

3. TimD

TimD New Member

Thanks a lot

4. stateit

stateit Screwfix Select

Which downlight fittings were you planning on fitting for the GU10 bulbs??

I've found the LAP ones are to be avoided. They've got really carp springs to hold the fitting in place to the ceiling, and really carp clips to hold the GU10 in place in the fitting (the lamps want to sit at an angle).

I challenge anyone to tell me otherwise.

5. sparky Si-Fi

sparky Si-Fi Screwfix Select

Sprung clipped downlight lamp fittings , I thought were banned owing to the clips, if not secured correctly have injured individuals in the face. . .what are Screwfix doing still selling them?

6. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

Generally carp then :D
    I've fitted some LAP stainless switches recently. Not the greatest of quality!

7. stateit

stateit Screwfix Select

A builder mate who gives me a lot of work chose them for his extension, against my advice (his missus liked them). When you tighten the plate screws the front buckles in and it shows up as it's shiny metal. And they need tightening up that much so as to not slide about the plaster.

Ouch!

FatHands likes this.
  8. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

:eek: not great are they!

9. stateit

stateit Screwfix Select

Never heard of that one Si-Fi. Never caught my eye, but I've sworn a shed load of times with my fingers...

What's the alternative then? Those flexible metal wings? I've always thought they were a pile of dog's-doo.

10. sinewave

sinewave Screwfix Select

LAP = Cheap Shat!

11. frogger

frogger Member

This YouTube video is interesting:

12. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I don't like those GU10s, no cover. Very easy to get hold of from e-bay.

13. sparky Si-Fi

No mate, its the front spring clips, Wilts state that they cannot flog them owing to the clips injuring people on lamp changes mate.

14. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

15. Lightingman

Lightingman New Member

When you guys talk about the spring clips injuring people are you talking about the clips (two usually) that hold the complete fitting in place to the ceiling or the clip inside the fittings that hold the bulb in place?

16. sparky Si-Fi

As I stated its the FRONT spring clips that are causing an issue which hold the face of the lamp in the holder