Wiring to detached garage - is this right.

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by kidspud, Feb 5, 2017.

1. kidspud

kidspud Member

I've recently purchased a property which has electrics running out to a garage.

On inspection it appears that SWA is run from a 32A MCB at the CU into a secondary CU in the garage.

2 radial circuits (sockets & lights) are then run from the secondary CU.

It looks like a proper installation, but I've read elsewhere that a 20A MCB should be used at the CU.

2. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

Depends wholly on the cable size and length of run, amongst other things. There is no "one answer fits all".

Dr Bodgit likes this.
  3. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

It depends on the size of the conductors in the SWA. What size are they? It is usually embossed on the outside of the cable.

Something like 3x2.5.

4. kidspud

kidspud Member

Ok, I'll have a look tomorrow. The cable run is around 5m.

Does that mean if it's 2.5 it's ok, or does that mean there is a problem?

5. Lectrician

You would want 4mm upwards.

6. kidspud

kidspud Member

Ok. I might need to get someone in to look at it. Would the cable need replacing, or the mcb.

7. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

You are probably worrying over nothing; tell us the cable size and we'll tell you the recommended MCB size.
    As above 32A on 2.5mm cable is NOT ok.

8. kidspud

kidspud Member

Thanks. I'll post back tomorrow.

9. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

If it does turn out to be 2.5mm a 20 amp MCB would be the one to use provided that will be enough for the loads you will be using.

10. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

@The OP There is nothing wrong with the installation. Why do you assume there is? What you have described is a perfectly safe design and has no logic as to why you thought a 20A mcb should be used. I wish people would stop assumimng everything they see in an electrical installation is somehow wrong or should be something else. Ignore all the replies to your post and just leave it alone. For goodness sake.

11. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

A 20 amp breaker was only suggested if his cable turns out to be 2.5mm !

12. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

2.5mm2 SWA is rated at 28A. Why would an electrician use 2.5mm2 SWA? It is most likely 4mm2. If the CU it is feeding is broken down in to circuits with 16A and 6A mcbs then how can the cable possibly get overloaded? The 32A mcb on the front end is not a problem and I doubt the cable is 2.5mm2 SWA.

The OP stated "I've read elsewhere that that the mcb should be 20A". What on earth is he reading and why does he assume it is not correct? Do people question absolutely everything for no logical reason? That's all I am saying!

13. Lectrician

Because not all electricians are pro's like you. *

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 7, 2017
    seneca likes this.
  14. sparky Si-Fi

sparky Si-Fi Screwfix Select

Morning all, I have not been in here for a while and I hate to see a couple of me mates arguing like this, you're both good sparks and couple of the best chaps in here that give good advice.

Come on me old muckers, lets try get on eh. .

Si

Joe95 likes this.
  15. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

I have receieved a warning from Peter, one of the admin guys. In essence he has told me off for aggressive and innappropriate behaviour. I have requested him to enforce my request to get Lectrician off my back. His hypocrical behaviour towards me is the root of my aggression. He feels he is superior on this forum, answers everyones posts with cold advice and to my knowledge has never posted a question, ever, on this forum. That in itself should tell you that he thinks knows it all and doesnt ever need advice. So, one last time, ignore me you hypocrit. I know you are reading this, so just do it.

Hi Simon. Nice to see you. :)

Last edited: Feb 7, 2017
    sparky Si-Fi likes this.
  16. Lectrician

Every comment in your last post reflect on you as well as me. Every point you have made against me apply to you too. You are arrogant, aggressive, and all your posts belittle other posters. Yet you can't see this. Just read back over your posts. You talk down to everyone, not just me.

17. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

I can from post #9 above why Unphased is getting people's back up, its commenting not just on the situation but suggesting what the OP is and should be thinking, that's second guessing and coming across as arrogant. I good lesson I learned from divorce counselling is express just what you think, use the "I" word and never the "YOU" word. "I think..." but don't suggest what the other person may think or how they might react - leave them to express that. Just express what you think.

So post #9 might sound like:

I don't see anything wrong with the installation. What you have described seems perfectly safe assuming the appropriate wiring has been used, and I have no reason to think it hasn't.

I'm sure Lectrician isn't without fault either, neither am I. Just using this as an example.

Morning all :)

Doall likes this.
  18. retiredsparks

retiredsparks Super Member

...unless it's a 2.5 T&E running from the origin of a ring main.....which seems magically to be ok.....lol
    RS

19. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

What about discrimination - I see no mention of this tbqh..:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

20. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

Don't start. We don't even know the SWA size yet. Let alone the CPD for them radials.

Mind you, the civil war above may have scared the OP away. Perhaps he is asking on Mumsnet.