Wiska Box

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by JP., Oct 9, 2014.

1. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/WK308B.html

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/WKEC308.html

Afternoon guys. What I am going to do is mount the Wiska box externally and feed it with lighting and power cables all in the same box - I will have 2.5 t + e going into the box for external power to the summerhouse, and a separate 1.5 t + e going into the box for the exterior lighting (all Led except 2 x bulkhead lanterns which are fitted with cfl's) all circuits are dedicated rcbo. Out of the box there will be 2.5 swa for the summerhouse, and 1.5 swa for the exterior lights With the swa glands x 2 do you reckon that I will have enough room to terminate ok - I will be using Wago 222 connectors because I like them tbqh instead of 2 x term blocks.

Do you reckon the above sounds ok? Its only because its being inspected that I am asking question tbqh because I know its a trifling matter really. Thanks guys.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2014
  2. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

gewiss 4x4x2 personally.

3. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

I like the "optioanal magic sealing gel" (yep it's optioanal according to their website) :p:p:p:p

4. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

The Wiska box comes with a 5-terminal connector strip that 'locks' in to the box. You can share the earths in the middle terminal and split the circuits over the other four, two each side. Plenty of room tbh JP. Wiska is superior in quality to Gewiss.

5. Lectrician

I don't belive so. The cover screws are pretty **** IMO. Proper screws on a gewiss 4x4x2.

6. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

I like Wiska boxes but rarely use the supplied connector block, too restrictive when positioning the cables. I normally use either Wago's or normal choc-block.

7. stateit

stateit Screwfix Select

I'd go for the bigger Wiska Box JP - more space.

8. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Thanks very much for all the replies guys all very helpful. Have decided to go with the larger 110mm x 110mm x 66mm Wiska box as State suggests. If I go larger then this then there is a quantum price leap so I think the 110mm will satisfy everything. I will check when cabling up as to whether to use the term block as per Un, or go with 222's as per Sen's post - so all sorted.

Thanks once again - can go ahead with confidence in materials being used now.

9. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Could you use HITUF cable for the lighting circuit?

10. Lectrician

We aware that your larger one has 25mm holes JP, not 20mm (pretty sure). Gewiss let you drill your own ;-) And with an earthing nut, they're ideal.

11. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Thanks Lec - I have already purchased the Wiska box - however being one to always try other stuff recommended by the forum, maybe if I come across the scenario again I will try the Gewiss ones. All inputs greatly appreciated.

12. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

I don't really know Jitender. I know HiTuf is useful in some situations, but the swa is what around 600mm down now and ready for glanding into exterior box. Must say the 1.5 and 2.5 swa is nice and flexible so everything looks ok. Thanks m8.

13. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Nope not happy with the Wiska box - glad I haven't mounted it yet. Took the lid of to have a dekko inside and in this part of the process nearly gammed up the slot in the plastic screw, and the screwdriver fits snugly in the slot. Put lid back on and screwed up and just gave the screw a little nip as you do, and the flaming thing turned through lock to open. Nuff for me - am not going to use it. Must be me I know, but I will use a proper screw lid type box..phnrrrrrr phnrrrrr. Thanks anyway guys, they are probably ok when you use them, but for me no thanks.

14. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

JP it is a quarter turn to open/lock not a screw! There is a 1 and a 0 marked on the lid and a small triangle on the slotted fastener. Just a gentle quarter turn from 1 to 0 on all four corners and you are in! No wonder you gammed up the fasteners. :)

FatHands and seneca like this.
  15. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Cheers Un :rolleyes:

16. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Gone for the Gewis as per Lec (GW 44204) - shame they don't do them in black, but you cant av ure cake and eat it so to speak.

17. Caddy

Caddy Active Member

You could have... its the same as the Gewis ones.

• A range of IP56 boxes in green, red, black, grey and white
    • ABS construction
    • IP56 approved
    • Dimensions (Internal LxWxD): 100x100x40mm

18. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Thanks Caddy - that looks like a good company - they don't stitch you up on P + P. I'm sure theres a cpc outlet near me so will investigate. Cheers m8.