wood chip wallpaper on bare plasterboard

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by jim124, Mar 11, 2015.

1. jim124

jim124 New Member

Someome has approched me wanting the flat painted but wants rid of the woodchip. Apparently the woodchip paper is just paperd on to the un plastered board behind! What would it be best to do? Would removing it damage the plaster board behind it? Thamks in advance,

2. Boolay

Boolay Member

Nightmare! If it's stuck on we'll get it skimmed

3. jim124

jim124 New Member

Thanks for the reply, If I was able to steam it off would it do damage to the plasterboard underneath? Or would it be fine to recover with liner?

4. Boolay

Boolay Member

In my opinion yes, you could line the walls with wall rock fibre liner. A bit expensive, all depends on how much you need to cover.

5. jim124

jim124 New Member

It is pretty much the whole flat that needs doing, would it be more cheaper and effective to bring in a plasterer? is just going over the top of it with the fiber liner a bit bodge? I dunno have never been up against this scenario before.
    thanks, james

6. Boolay

Boolay Member

Wallrock is for uneven surfaces, either use a paper tiger and some zinsser dif or equivalent stripper , or pay someone to skim

7. malkie129

malkie129 Screwfix Select

Woodchip, apart from some of the music :eek: must be one of the worst things that came out of the 80s !!!