Wood flooring: bouncing, not floating

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by CrawfW, Mar 7, 2017.

1. CrawfW

CrawfW Member

Evening,

Pretty sure folks are going to enjoy telling me that this situation is a hopeless disaster, but here goes......

The 50m2 of engineered wood floor we recently laid to float on 5mm foam underlay is bouncy in places: clearly, the underlying substrate is not perfectly flat. Is the best (only?) solution to take it up and glue it down?

It moves by a few mm, but feels like more - what sort of variation will floor adhesive accommodate?

Can we glue onto the underlay (itself glued down)? Or must it too come up?

Got all sorts of other ideas (self-levelling in key areas, additional underlay, expanding foam), but figured that glue is the best option......

Finally, before i get completely ripped to pieces, this was done in a race to get a finance-stage released, without which all would have been over.

Crawf

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Not all foam underlay are equal,the density can vary,some are rather flimsy, others rather denser, yet both are the same thickness.

What is the floor concrete or suppended timber.

3. CrawfW

CrawfW Member

The underlay was the Vitrex stuff from Screwfix - got good reviews.

Floor is a mix - some concrete, some suspended, all with self-levelling as the top layer.

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Supended floor plywood screwed?

Self-levelling laid correctly, should give a perfect surface for the underlay & flooring.

Doall likes this.
  5. Jamie Owens

Jamie Owens New Member

Where does it bounce? Randomly across the room, middle of the floor, above suspended floor?

6. dwlondon

dwlondon Active Member

Take up ballroom dancing.....

CGN likes this.
  7. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

50 m2 is quite a big area. Is the room empty or do you have furniture in it ?

8. CrawfW

CrawfW Member

Room is empty. Bouncing is mainly at the edges, where i guess there isn't much weight to hold it down. No skirting boards to help as walls are cob and are going to have rope instead of skirting.

9. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

10. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

You may find a lot of the bounce/spring may settle once furniture is in place.

11. CrawfW

CrawfW Member

So, the bounce didn't settle. Which means its time to start grinding.

I am hoping this will mean finding fairly small areas, especially at the edges, that are too high - rather than having to blast across the whole 50m2.

With this in mind, any thoughts as which of these would be most suitable?

https://ibb.co/cGMiY5

12. Rob_bv

Rob_bv Active Member

Screw it down and plug the tops of the screws - no-one will ever notice! ;)

13. CrawfW

CrawfW Member

I'd notice - either when i struggled to get the screws into the bloody hard screed. Or, if i did, once the electric UFH stops working!

So, which grinding option? I'm thinking option C might be OK....

14. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

What do you plan on grinding? the edges?

No floating floor will be as solid as a glued to sub floor or nailed down.

Get the furniture in and let the floor settle for a bit