Wooden filler problem?

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by wakeywakey, Oct 9, 2015.

1. wakeywakey

wakeywakey Member

I have a wooden diagonally slated wooden porch and some of the wooden slats are rotting.
    I have removed the rotten bits but now how do I fill them.
    I have some knot filler, but I want to put fence paint on them afterwards, so how would I achieve this?

I know I could renew the slats themselves, but It's only the end of them that's affected.

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

3. Treat - soak, and allow to dry - the repaired ends with rot killer before filling. Akshully, soak the other slats too, especially at their ends.

Most garden fence paints will adhere ok to the filler, so it'll end up looking as good as the quality of your repair job...

KIAB likes this.
  4. vivaro man

vivaro man Active Member

Wakey,
    DA gives excellent advice. Personally and for what it's worth I would take it all out and replace the lot because that's what you'll have to do 'ere long. Alternatively you could practice piecing it with a length of new decking.

Good luck.

5. ZOEBEL

ZOEBEL New Member

I have a question about this sort of thing. I recently had to make some minor repairs to my fence. I used wickes all purpose wood filler, which is quite pale. I then painted the fence with wickes 5 year fence paint. However, once dried, the areas that had been filled look noticeably lighter than the rest of it, even after applying several coats of the fence paint. The wood filler need say that it accepts painting and staining. What should I do? Keep applying coats of fence paint in the hope it will cover the filler area? Spot prime the filled areas and then paint over? Wait to see if the fence will fade to be the same colour. Your help would be much appreciated as my wife wants to kill me for "ruining her fence".

6. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Go to a decorators merchant and buy a sample size of Sadolin Superdec (£4.95) that almost match the shade/colour you require and simply touch the filled parts up.

ZOEBEL likes this.