wooden french doors have been blown open, how can I stop this?

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by thecount, May 29, 2011.

1. thecount

thecount Member

Hi,
    We moved into our new house, and the builders fitted wooden french doors which open outward.  The problem we have is when its windy, we are positioned in such a way that it easily catches the door and blows it open, literally in your hands.  The other week, it was strong and I was unable to catch the door and it broke the restrictor at the top of the door right off and damaged the wood.

Any ideas of what I could do?  some kind of stronger secondary 3rd party restrictor? Or / and some kind of post sticking out of the patio slab to stop the door? maybe with rubber around it?

any ideas, much appreciated, as its going to get expensive to keep getting it repaired..

thanks

2. jeznotts

jeznotts Member

hello
    before you try sticking posts out of the patio have a think about door closers you see them on fire doors in public buildings, they are a really strong hyraulic arm that controls the speed at which the door returns to the frame, they may appear a bit ugly at first but at the end of the day they are out of eye level and the patio remains clear, not to mention the doors stay in the shape they are suposed to! ( you could perhaps fit them outside anyways)
    cheerz!

3. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Dunno what kind of restrictor you bhad there before, but have you considered 'friction-stays' ?

The type that are used on uPVC windows.

You would fit one at the top, and would need a gap(between frame recess and likewise door) of about 12mm(or cut a channel for it).

These have a screw adjuster to adjust how tightly it would restrict pushing open(from zero to 'got a job to move it at all').

You would need an 'egress'(or escape) friction stay, best in your need about 2/3 the width of your door(one each of course)

Mr. HandyAndy - Really.

4. jeznotts

jeznotts Member

good point forgot about them ( think i have seen them on wooden windows too) would prob look loads less obvious as well!

5. keving

keving New Member

intresting reply  by  mr  handyman i would have thought that  friction hinges  are not  strong  enough to support the door and   glass  alone and they  wouldent fit  on withh butt hinges  as  well !  please reply a post when you have done the job i would  like to know  how  you  got on ?

6. thecount

thecount Member

thanks all for responses.  The french doors have restrictors at the top but just not strong enough for the weight of the door when the wind catches it. restrictor is metaland has a runner. Not sure if door closure would work as usually don't they slow down the closure of the door rather than the opening?  or have I got that wrong? also, I'm not sure I have enough clearance at the top to bolt it onto the door frame.

7. Mr. Handyandy

Using 'egress' friction stays, the window/door opens in the same plane as the existing butt hinges, so they are in addition to the butts. One at the top of each door, adjusted for exact tightness needed.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

8. thecount

thecount Member

here's a photo of the door, thought it might help? its the right hand side we need to find a solution for.  My daighter of 4 this week epened it out on a windy day and it alwost pull her right out with it.  Luckily we have a plastic bin on the outside to stop this now.

http://imageshack.us/f/684/frenchdoor.jpg/

PS - any idea why my yahoo email isn't getting notifications from screwfix when you guys reply?

9. mof

mof Member

Best thing to do is cut the stops of the frame and hang the doors to open inwards then fix new stops on the outside, doors opening out are always going to be a pain.

10. jeznotts

jeznotts Member

hello
    looking at the frame you may be better taking the whole door out and turning it about face, assuming that you have the room (might be why thay open out in the 1st place) also perhaps fitting gate springs on the external face would slow the swing down!

11. Mr. Handyandy

So if he turned it inside out, how the heck is he gonna seal/guard it against water coming in ? It's waterproofed for outward opening.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

12. jeznotts

jeznotts Member

hello
    ummm, what? it would take on the configuration of a normal inward opening door thus you would seal it as usual! just because its been made water proof for outward opening is immaterial. the frame that the door fits to would seal it, like normal, and a weather bar on the bottom would provide protection,like normal!
    REALLY!

13. Mr. Handyandy

Nope.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

14. jeznotts

jeznotts Member

hello
    how come?

15. mof

mof Member

So if he turned it inside out, how the heck is he gonna seal/guard it against water coming in ? It's waterproofed for outward opening.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really         It would be sealed/guarded the same as the 99.9% of other normal inward opening external doors are.
    MOF-actualy

16. Mr. Handyandy

But the frame is not built for inward opening doors, and as such, inward opening doors will let water in.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

17. jeznotts

jeznotts Member

hello
    myself and others here probably can't believe what we are reading here.there may be some adjustments that need to be made like vents, paint and which side the glass is beaded is no prob either, but there is no reason why he couldnt turn the whole thing round i dont think i have ever come across a door frame that could only be fitted one way, normaly they open in and that is just because thats the way its done here (reasons if req) so what ,pray tell, do you mean by the frame is not built for inward opening doors??, explain please the fundamental differences between the two, or even whatever it is you have spotted in the photo, as that would be handy! really

18. Mr. Handyandy

To be honest, I can't comment on the photo because the page won't open for me.

But I would start at the sill and say that normally a sill is built in a way that the door/s close onto(a normally built-in) stop/step-up.
    That in itself would make it not possible to have the doors open inward.

Again, as I cannot see the photo, what is the seal at door/frame around the peripheral ? With the stops at the moment on the inside, this is what prevents water coming in from the top and sides. This seal has to be BETTER if the stops are on the outside.

This is a wooden set-up, and unlike uPVC rubbers don't make such a good seal.

With the doors on the inner of the stops, rain WILL come in.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

19. jeznotts

jeznotts Member

hello
    the sill if there is one can be cut off and a new one fitted and the stops or in this case the rebated door frame will be better as they will be out side and after all that nobody said that the door leaks at the moment with the stops on the inside , you also have to try and get away from the home improvement mindset that dictates pvc stuff is far superior, it isnt, it looks gash and there are wooden alternatives that perform just as well with all types of rubber seals (ok you have to treat them nomally) so in short these windows turned around will work, wont leak and never blow out of the homeowners hand and get dammaged! if you cant see the photo it looks like a pair of french doors that open out with a proper rebated frame.really.

20. Mr. Handyandy

Well, I'll tell you what!

You offer him the guarantee that it won't leak, and you go back and fix it when it does, I'll accept.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really