Woodworm

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by facilities, Oct 16, 2016.

1. facilities

facilities Guest

Hello all
    First off thanks for all your help in my previous posts, In the last few weeks I have moved into a 60s build bungalow with separate flat roof garage, I have discovered that the roof joists in the garage are quite badly infected with woodworm and I would say need replacing, I did not require a mortgage for this property so commissioned an home buyers report which cost £400.00, would it be reasonable to assume that the surveyor should have picked up on this, he had full access to the garage and the joists are clearly visible, he did mention the garage in his report and I quote "there is a single garage to the rear garden of brick construction with a flat felt roof, the garage is of satisfactory condition and no repair is currently needed, the property must be maintained in the normal way"
    Thanks in advance for any advice.

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Home buyers report isn't worth the paper it's written for a 50 years plus old house, home buyer I say is only for the newer properties in my opinion, the report will only cover things visible to the surveyor, whether he would go out of his way to look for woodworm in a roof I doubt it.

Should have had a building survey, much more detailed report with regards to defects & structural problems like dry rot,woodworm,etc,etc.

3. facilities

facilities Guest

Thanks Kiab for your response, it's pretty much what I expected concerning the Homebuyers report and did expect only a very basic survey with what I would assume be plenty of loopholes for the surveyeor to pass the buck should anything come to light after, however the joist would have been clearly visible some 6" above his head and fully exposed, if a survey misses this then what does it pick up on? or is woodworm dry rot etc, not in his remit to look for?

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Nothing to loose complaining, at 6' I would say woodworm is fairly noticeable one by the holes & secondly by the sawdust on ground if it's still active.

5. Have a look through what's covered/included by this 'homebuyer's report' - it should be pretty clear about what is, and isn't, covered.

You'll probably find clauses like "The inspector won't move furniture, lift carpets etc... to help inspection", but I'd have thought that anything within his direct eye-line would be!

But, as you say, the fact that he did make a conclusion on the condition of the garage "... of satisfactory condition and no repair is currently needed..." is possibly the single most significant point you have here.

Having said that, it'll come down to the definition of 'satisfactory quality' (probably only means it's been constructed of proper materials to an adequate standard) and 'no repair is currently needed...' which could be open to dispute.

If you can get an independent surveyor to state categorically that "it does need repairs, and currently..." then you might have a case. You personally reckon the joists need replacing. If they do, then that would suggest it does need repairs. The reporter - and/or an independent surveyor - might claim it only needs treating against further attack and it currently ok.

So,I wouldn't hold your breath...

(And - cough - if the woodworm is so visible, why didn't you see it...?)

KIAB likes this.
  6. facilities

facilities Guest

Tanks DA, I have read through report/small print, in the section Our overall opinion of the property, "this property is considered to be a reasonable proposition for purchase provided that you accept the cost and inconvenience of dealing with the various repair/replacement works or risks reported" can't find anything in there that should exclude woodworm not picked up on, there is 12 joists about 6 show obvious woodworm infection some joists there are lots of holes but appear to be reasonably solid where as others crumble away easily and by the look of the sawdust at the holes it would suggest recent woodworm activity, as the bungalow was built in the mid sixties perhaps they could say this is reasonable to expect, I might try complaining to the surveyors, although never been very lucky, I bought a suite from DFS on the only weekend they didn't have a sale on :(

7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Always got CAB for help complaining to the surveyors, take photo's of joists showing condition close up & at 6'.

8. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

Not ideal to have woodworm, but it's a separate flat roof garage, so unless the roof is likely to immediately collapse, I'd say get some treatment, give it a good spraying, and get on with your life. Chances are, even if the beams have lost 50% of their strength, they're still good for a very long time. Yes you could replace them, or you could just leave them once treated until something forces your hand. That could be a very long time in the future.

9. BMC2000

BMC2000 Screwfix Select

Badly infected, does this mean structurally damaged or a number or flight holes are visible?

It is a DIY job to get rid of them if the structure is OK.

10. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

11. facilities

facilities Guest

Thanks again everyone for your replies, Mr Rusty as you say at the end of the day it's a separate flat roof garage and is not in immediate danger of collapse and perhaps could be treated and last for a good few years, I will speak to my builder for his opinion, DA I take your point about myself missing it if it was so visable, on my 2 visits to the property prior to purchase I took in as much as I could about the condition of the main property and garage even visited with the builder who would be doing some renovation work to the main building, the garage problem was not noticed until I was clearing out some stuff from the garage that the previous owner had left behind, when viewing a property prior to purchase ( this property had been empty for the best part of a year) it is not allowable to obtain the keys by yourself, the visits have to be planned with the estate agent and he/she remains with you on each occasion, on the other hand the surveyor is given the keys and they can spend as much time as they like checking things over, I am no expert in building construction and obviously missed the woodworm on my visits, but found it evident when I occupied the building, I would assume that to a professional surveyor woodworm would be on his list of potential defects to check on if he has access to structural timbers, but I may be wrong

12. facilities

facilities Guest

Just seen your posts BMC2000/Kiab, I will speak with my builder and get his opinion, the woodworm killer looks interesting perhaps it's the way to go, just don't like the idea of paying a professional surveyor good money when he seems to miss things like this, btw when I noticed this I squeezed myself into the loft area of the bungalow pass 2 water tanks in an upstairs cupboard, all the main roof joists look fine, these tanks will shortly be removed when the new central heating and combi boiler is installed allowing proper access to the loft area, so I can board this and give some extra storage, (still trying to fit a 4 bed detached into 2 bed semi bungalow) as an aside while I was in the loft I noticed about half a dozen what looked white golf ball sized things hanging from the joists, on closer inspection they came away easily and looked like miniature wasps nests with an honeycomb interior felt like a very delicate paper machet any idea what these are ?

13. BMC2000

BMC2000 Screwfix Select

You did say you had been there numerous times and didn't see the evidence but only noticed these when the area was cleared after the owners clear out.

Is it therefore fair to say the surveyor on his only visit had the same obstacles hindering inspection?

As DA said, standard caveats would include not moving furniture (or removing everything from a well stacked junk room!)

Post up pics of the bad damage

14. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

What size these white golf ball things.

15. BMC2000

BMC2000 Screwfix Select

Golf ball size if say!

16. facilities

facilities Guest

BMC2000, I paid 2 visits as stated not numerous, material removed from garage was one piece of old Lino and then general dusting of cobwebs, it was more the cleaning off of cobwebs that I noticed it, nothing was impeding the viewing of the joists and it was certainly not a well stacked junk room, but not being a professional woodworm evidence was not noticed by myself at the time of my relatively short visits
    Kiab about 1" to 1 1/2" diameter something like a golf ball
    I will have a do at posting pics tomorrow not done it before

17. BMC2000

BMC2000 Screwfix Select

If he spotted the flight holes to the garage roof joists would it have put you off the sale of the house do you think?

18. facilities

facilities Guest

No I don't think that would have been the case, but I would have investigated the cost of rectifying and hopefully negotiated with the seller

19. facilities

facilities Guest

image.jpeg image.jpeg Morning all, took some photos this morning 2 of the woodworm and 2 of the little round things hanging from the loft rafters, as I said they look like the beginning of wasp nests

Attached Files:

20. Fair do's, Facilities. You are a layman and not a qualified surveyor - which is why you fork out multi-£undreds for a pro to do this job for you.

I think this comes down to what that level of survey (I think that's a fairly basic one?) covers. Thinking back to the last time I have a survey done - I think it was only on my very first purchase many moons ago - I don't bother any more...) the survey was pretty clear on what it did and did not include. That's where I recall the mention of things like "The surveyor will not lift carpets...etc" from.

I would agree that the presence of these woodworm holes is pretty obvious - and should certainly be for a 'pro'. If he bothered his backside to go in to that garage, then one of the most obvious things he should have done is run his torch over any exposed timber beams. That's as obvious as an obvious thing. (I mean, if the survey included a look in the roof space, then one of the most obvious things a surveyor would do is look at the joists and rafters for signs of damp and worm.)

So, have a look through the T&Cs of that survey and see what's covered. If it says it includes an examination of exposed and easily accessible structural timbers/joists/rafters or similar, then I reckon you have a very good case.