Worcester 240RSF - no hot water

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by boydell, Jan 2, 2014.

1. boydell

boydell New Member

Hello All,

I am a newbie as far as making a posting is concerned, but I have followed this forum for a few years now, not so much for plumbing info but for the humour! It can be a bit ripe sometimes, so please be gentle with me!

Down to business...

My old Combi is playing up again (been OK since I replaced the diverter valve complete 3 years ago), not for the usual failed diaphragm, but for a small leak behind the diaphragm chamber.

Having said that the symptoms are the same ie; central heating OK but no DHW.

I jumped in armed with a Giannoni diaphragm only to find the old one was in reasonable condition. I fitted the new one whilst I was at it anyway only to find no improvement.

After some head scratching I can see that the new spindle is not as far out as it should be in CH position, and therefore does not reach the micro switches when a hot tap is turned on (just like a defective diaphragm!). The domestic cold water pressure is good (the hot water tap pressure when on is just about equal to the cold.

I have a nagging doubt about generic replacement parts quality (BES LTD were my source for the valve complete).

Have I missed something obvious? Can some kind soul point me in the right direction please?

regards,
    boydell.

2. boydell

boydell New Member

Solved this one!

Might just help someone else in the future not to make the same mistake I did.

I sourced the new replacement universal Giannoni diaphragm on eBay, and when I examined it closely alongside the original it turned out that the spindle length was 60mm not 62mm as it should be. It looked identical in all other respects. I have proved the point by swopping the shafts as a temporary measure whilst I obtain a new one and it is working fine. So what should have been a simple job turned out to be a pain in the BTM! Grrr...

regards,
    boydell.