Worcester 24CDi internal leak.

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Jim Tibbs, Jan 14, 2016.

1. Jim Tibbs

Jim Tibbs New Member

Hello people, I am after a little advice.

I have a Worcester 24CDi (unsure of its age as we have only lived at this address for a couple of years) and it has developed a slight internal leak, a couple of drips a minute perhaps.

On looking up from underneath the boiler I have found what i believe to be the source of the problem in that there is a crusty wet residue around the junction of two parts fitted near the filling loop housing.

I have looked down from inside the boiler cabinet there is the same crusty residue all around the top of these parts but no other signs of moisture anywhere else.

Any advice as to what the part is and what is required to sort the problem would be very greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance, Jimbo.
    IMG_7412.JPG IMG_7413.JPG

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

3. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

Given that boilers age and the amount of work and parts to sort that I would start to look at a replacement if I were you.

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Vaillant.

Easier to service.

Dave does Gas likes this.
  5. Jim Tibbs

Jim Tibbs New Member

Thats what i was afraid i was gonna hear :-(

6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

If you use a Vaillant Advance partner to install boiler you get 7 years warranty.

7. Dave does Gas

Thats for the Pro the plus is 10 years

8. Dave does Gas

Dont get me wrong it is repairable but to guarantee a leak free fix you would need a new diverter valve a new filling section and most likely the plastic drain point section. Fortunatly Worcester include all the washers and O rings with ther parts. You would then be looking at about an hour to two hours labour. Cant see you getting much change from £300.00.
    If you consider that the boiler is at least 15 years old I would hesitate spending that sort of money on it when something else could be affected by the disturbance of the repair, or within a year or so another fault occurs.

9. Jim Tibbs

Jim Tibbs New Member

I figured it might be getting a bit long in the tooth and perhaps not worth the effort of fixing it. Given that it's just weeping from the junction of the two parts I'm hoping not to get a catastrophic failure in the time it takes me to organise a replacement. What do you reckon an equivalent Valiant combi is going to set me back with fitting? I have until now never had to replace a boiler anywhere I have resided so wouldn't have the first clue...

10. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

How many bedrooms,baths/showers (not eletric) & radiators you got, if you want a higher flow rate of hot water, then you need a larger boiler.

But, you won't benefit from the higher flow rate, if you have a low mains pressure.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2016
  11. Jim Tibbs

Jim Tibbs New Member

Rads- 4 downstairs & 4 upstairs.
    1 bath + an en-suite but the shower in there is electric.
    We've never had a problem with the boilers ability to heat the house or provide enough hot water. So I would think something of similar capacity/spec would be sufficient.

12. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

13. If the only current issue is a drip, then there's no hurry to have it sorted?

I wonder, tho', if the problem is in the plastic component to the right that the brass diverter valve is screwed in to? Could that possibly be split or cracked?

What is that plastic part - is that any cheaper or easier to replace? (Ie - not sure that a new diverter valve will necessarily sort it?)

14. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

It's a old boiler, discontinued around 2007,you will find replacing one part then something else will fail.

15. Not if you do it carefully... :p

Jim Tibbs likes this.
  16. If it was my boiler,I would remove the affected parts,give them a thorough clean and reassemble with new O Rings if nothing was cracked/split.
    Would then see how the boiler performed.

17. Dave does Gas

That is indeed an option but as I have found in the past if you strip it down without the relevant parts you tend to do more damage than simply leaving it alone plus you them either have to wait for parts to arrive at a merchants.
    The worcester range is still fairly extensive and most merchants have the diverter valve and filling section on the shelf. the part that would cause the issue would be the plastic manifold and drain section.

18. Dave does Gas

Dependant upon the area you live and the current size of your gas supply to boiler and given that the flue is not terminating on a boundary and you have easy access to a drainage system for the condensate at a rough guide and including the instalationof magna clean Pro 2 and a calmag filter you can expect to pay between £2500 to £3000, if you want the job done correctly which will include a chemical flush etc. You should also at this stage consider fitting TRV's in the relevant rooms if not fitted.
    If you do go for the Vaillant you may also want to take a look at the V Smart control, alows you to control your heating from your mobile etc. But the main bonus is should you have a breakdown Vaillant will know the fault code and ensure the engineer has the right parts on the van even before you call them. Plus a lot of other energy saving functions.
    http://www.vaillant.co.uk/homeowners/products/vaillant-vsmart-13184.en_gb.html#!
    Go onto the Valiant website use the find an installer section and choose a few for free surveys and quotes, they will give you better advice than anyone on here can having seen your system and its layout.
    http://www.vaillant.co.uk/homeowners/

19. Jim Tibbs

Jim Tibbs New Member

Well thank you all for your numerous posts, having pondered them i have an idea on how i'll now proceed.

Jimbo.