Worcester 28CDI Combi

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by kevo55, Nov 29, 2015.

1. kevo55

kevo55 New Member

Hi, My combi is approx 11 years old, it started to play up last week, heating ok but hot water warm then going cold. Called a Plumber who changed the expansion vessel,(old one full of water?) heating still running ok but no hot water
    when heating is off (when heating is on water is only warm not hot) before I get him back is there something obvious happening here. Thanks.

2. kiaora

kiaora Guest

Hi
    The most common fault, is blocked domestic hot water heat exchanger.

Can be other things but that's quite common problem.

Regards
    Peter

3. DNR Plumbing

DNR Plumbing Active Member

When was the last time the heating system was flushed?? Has the system had any inhibitor in it?? Most likely a blocked heat exchanger but pointless to renew on a dirty system
    Clean the system fully first before replacing anything I personally like the Sentinal range of chemicals
    Add the cleaner leave in the system for a week drain flush and refill and see if there is any improvement
    Always add inhibitor when you have done

4. Davidmarlow

Davidmarlow New Member

Sorry to jump inn this thread - having issues with the same boiler.

Hot water piping hot out of kitchen sink, bathroom sink and bath... Luke warm out of shower.

Mate who is a plumber said probably build up of lime scale in shower element, could be a £20 fix, worse case a new shower.

Get an actual plumber to look (rented house so used his own plumber) he comes in, takes the temp from water, turns the thermostat to full and after a 3 min diagnosis "YOU NEED A NEW BOILER"....

Really??? Anybody have any thoughts? Or is this plumber just after an easy job? He says he replaced the heat exchange 18m ago (he didn't as we were here so must have been 3years ago) and has said its not that

Any help anybody?

5. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

Basically if you have a combi and all the taps are working fine but the shower isn't then logically the fault has to be with the shower.
    You dont say what type of shower you have, if its a thermostatic mixer then it likely the theromstatic cartridge needs replacing.

PS for a beter response next time start a new thread rather than rekindle an old one, a lot of people dont respond to old threads.

6. Davidmarlow

Davidmarlow New Member

Kinda thought as much, thanks for the reply

Meant to add - the water was piping hot in all the taps UNTIL he 'checked them' now the thermostat is set to full and the shower is a few degrees warmer, but the feast of the taps that were red hot are now just hot, obviously I'm bring sceptical but is there anyway this could be adjusted to appear like it's not being efficient? I mean it's too much of a coincidence if you ask me that he had a look then all of a sudden the water temperature reduces isn't it!plus it's now on the hottest setting and it never was before!

The shower takes the water direct and it's built in behind the tiles so he didn't check the cartridge - funnily enough that X what my mate suggested it was