Worcester 30 CDI system boiler

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Richard S, Jul 15, 2014.

1. Richard S

Richard S New Member

Hi I have a Worcester Bosch 30 CDI system boiler the radiators get warm, not hot, when there is hot water demand but when there is no demand for heating. I have replaced the CH zone valve but the radiators are still warm.
    Is there anything else that can cause this or have I fitted a faulty Zone valve

2. itchyspanner

itchyspanner Member

is this a new system? has it worked correctly in the past?

it could be an issue in the way its has been piped up.

3. Richard S

Richard S New Member

4. Richard S

Richard S New Member

Hi itchyspanner.
    I think you are correct and it is a problem with the pipe work. Last winter I called out a plumber as there was no heat to the radiators in the extension (3 radiators) after some investigation he found that the flow pipe 15mm plastic pipe was totally blocked this feed was taken by the plubmer that piped the extension from the old bathroom radiator. The option to replace this section of pipe was not possible due to having the bathroom floor tiled. The new plumber decided that it would be a better option to tee into the flow and return at a different point.
    Now where he teed in is on the main 22mm flow and return pipes, the tee on the flow is now the first take off just after the boiler and the return is the last tee just before the pipe returns to the boiler.
    Now what I think could be happening is that when return water from the hot water circuit reaches this new tee just before returning to the boiler it takes the new route to the extension radiators and sets up a reverse flow in these three new radiators and then returns to the flow pipe of the main heating circuit heating the rest of the radiators in the property,could this be possible as I'm no expert I'm only guessing here. Anyway I turned off the three radiator valves on the return side of the three radiators in the extension and this seems to have stopped the other rads getting warm. Can you confirm that this is possible and if there is a none return valve that could be fitted in the return pipe work for the extension that will prevent reverse flow through these radiators. Appologies if my expalation is a little difficult to follow but as I say I'm no expert.

5. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

have you or anyone else ever flushed out your system ?

6. Richard S

Richard S New Member

The system was flushed by the guy that repiped the extension

7. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

including the boiler ?

just for clarity - has this system ever worked correctly, either before or after the blocked pipe was bypassed ?

8. Richard S

Richard S New Member

The guy removed a radiator and flushed across the two fittings with the heating on, the system worked fine when the boiler was first installed four years ago, there was no problem for first two years even when the pipe to the extension got blocked the rest of the system worked fine. The blocked pipe was blanked off and bypassed last winter so the unwanted heating of radiators wasn't noticed unill the heating was turned off when the warmer weather started.

9. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

10. Richard S

Richard S New Member

Magna clean filter fitted when boiler was installed cleanser used when flushed and inhibitor used after. The boiler is serviced annually. Would there be enough pressure on the system to operate a none return valve if I fitted One in the pipe work to the extension

11. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

if the entire system is clean, and plumbed correctly you don't need a NRV

do any of your rads not have a stat on ? it appears that your extension circuit is acting as the bypass

12. Richard S

Richard S New Member

There is a bypass valve fitted under the boiler, before the zone valves, between heating flow and return pipes.
    Would fitting a NRV in the return pipe of the extension pipe work prevent water entering the extension through the return. thus ruling out my theory above. This is looking more and more like the cause of the rads heating up when there is no heating demand. As when all three rads in the extension are shut down on the rad valves, so preventing flow through the circuit, there is no unwanted heating of the other radiators.

13. plumberboy

plumberboy Well-Known Member

You have reverse circulation because the return from the rads needs to be before the cylinder return to the boiler,so the return nearest the boiler will be cylinder return for correct pipe work.

14. Richard S

Richard S New Member

Hi Plumberboy
    Thanks for confirming my suspicion, would fitting a none return valve in the extension return pipe prevent the reverse circulation stoping rads getting warm when there is no demand for heating and allow the system to work correctly.

15. plumberboy

Best advice would be to re-pipe, non return valve will work but would not be my choice of repair.;)

16. Richard S

Richard S New Member

Re-pipeing is not an option as too much work involved in lifting the tiled floors. I will go for the NRV and look to re-pipe when ever we renew the bathroom.
    Thanks very much for your help & advise.

17. plumberboy

Your welcome.