Worcester Bosch 24i RSF fault

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Gavin Melling, Jan 29, 2015.

1. Gavin Melling

Gavin Melling New Member

Any gas/boiler experts fancy pondering what could be wrong.

Old style Worcester Bosch 24i RSF - http://www.worcester-bosch.co.uk/cac...ued-nov-04.pdf

50% of mornings/evenings the central heating won't kick in. If it does this then hot water doesn't work either until call for heat is switched off for a few mins.

It seems to make all the correct noises, but just doesn't fire up.

British Gas been out 5 times now, serviced/checked fan, replaced air pressure switch, replaced air pressure tubes, replaced PCB. It's still not working, I think British Gas are out of ideas.

If you remove one of the air pressure switch tubes, wait for a click then reinsert this fixed the CH every time.

Once CH is on, even if it reaches temp and goes off again it has never broken down again until it has been off for many hours (6+ at a guess) generally it'll stay on for the day.

Hot water has never broken down, only when the CH fails and seems to lock the boiler to an "off" state.

We're getting BG out again, but last time they said there's "nothing" more they can do. So anything I can look for or anything it could be?

2. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

This one sounds like fun, only problen with BG is you'll never get the same engineer back so no continuity
    You say serviced the fan, not much to service on a fan maybe clean the venturi's and brush the dust off. Could be the fans sluggish until the boiler warms up, so it could need replacing. Also they replaced the air pressure tubes, was this just the neoprene ones or did the replace the entire section, if not could be worth disconnecting both ends and having a good blow through.
    Im assuming when you say doesn't fire up, do you hear the electrodes clicking or not, if they are sparking it could almost certainly be your gas valve. If not then pretty much all has been covered.
    Id be interested to hear the outcome on this one

3. Gavin Melling

Gavin Melling New Member

Thanks - 4 of the 5 visits we've had the same engineer. Every time he's been absolutely confident it's fixed though.
    They opened the fan housing up, cleaned all the gunk off and greased the motor up.
    Unfortunately I can't be 100% sure what comes on with the call to heat, as more often than not it's when the timer kicks in for me getting home and I'm not there.
    I think they just replaced both tubes, will give it a good blow tonight to see if that helps.
    If it was the gas valve would that not affect hot water as well as the CH? We've never turned the taps on and not had hot water unless the heating is in this "locked" state.
    Thanks, I'll keep you updated!

4. Albertross boy

Albertross boy New Member

I've had a spider nest in the venturi before had to take fan out to get to it as everytime I blew thru it it would flip down then get blown back into hole
    Might be some thing to try
    Don't go blowing down tubes to pressure switch you could damage it it only takes a light blow to make it click to hard and you could split it