Worcester Bosch 37 cdi gas smell

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Chris Vernon, Mar 25, 2015.

1. Chris Vernon

Chris Vernon New Member

I have a very bizzare condition developed on my boiler and I struggling get the problem resolved.

I am getting a gas smell but at only at a certian time of the day, I will explain

Heating comes on at 6:00am until 8:30am and the shower is used during these times no problem no smell of gas, hot water is used during the day no problem no smell

Heating comes on 3:30pm until 6:30pm again no smell and hot water used.

At about 7:00pm my Mrs has a bath not a shower. She likes a hot bath so does have the tap turned down quite low to get the heat in the water. After she has run the bath there seems to be a gas smell comes from the boiler, the next morning the smell has gone.

My installer has been and checked the boiler with his gas sniffer and finds nothing at all whilst operating the boiler, this check however is done during the day when the heating is not on.

The only difference between the morning and night is the fact that a bath is being run not the shower and the boiler is hot after the heating as been on.

I am not if the smell is a unburnt gas smell or burnt gas fumes, sniffing around the bottom of the bolier I cannot anything but I do know it would rise anyhow

Has anybody got and ideas as to what is causing this situation ???

2. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

burnt gas fumes should't have a strong smell, unburnt gas does,its a stench added to the gas so detection is easier, Does anyone else in the house smell it ? if so it needs addressing, ask the plumber to come round when it is happening, ;)

3. Chris Vernon

Chris Vernon New Member

Oh yes everybody else smells it as well.

4. Ray Retired

Ray Retired Active Member

Think I'd err on the side of caution and take the advice British Gas offer on this one Chris...

"If you smell gas or THINK you have a gas leak, or are worried that fumes containing carbon monoxide are escaping from a gas appliance, please call the free Gas Emergency Services emergency line immediately on 0800 111 999."

Better safe than risking the consequences of telling the Mrs her relaxing evening bath is banned... OR...

House Gas.jpg

Jitender likes this.
  5. Glad its Friday

Glad its Friday Active Member

A gas test would find any leaks on the system. You just may have a leak on the boiler side of the gas valve and this is easily checked. Bad combustion is detectable with a flue gas check. But best check and call your installer out again, or Transco. Could be your confusing a drain smell ?

6. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

Do as GIF says, don't mess with gas. Just out of interest was the boiler serviced recently, if yes it possible the engineer has left a test point open. If he's done this you would only smell gas when the boiler is running

7. Chris Vernon

Chris Vernon New Member

I though that but why only on when the bath tap is running ??? we all had shwoers last night and no smell at all.

Plumber coming Friday afternoon, he says the hot boiler theory in his view not having any effect

8. G&W Plumbing & Heating

G&W Plumbing & Heating Active Member

A bath of coarse will require the boiler to be fired for the longest period in your case,
    Smells associated with combustion should not be present in any case,
    The boiler is room sealed which defines its dynamics in relation to the room,
    POC can escape through condense pipe seals or faulty traps, flue seals, casing seals, flue test point seals, sight glass window Loss or seals. POC can enter a room from external routes via non compliant air vents, windows, flue hole cavity around flue if not sealed.
    Reasons for incomplete combustion related to smells are impingement from insufficient combustion air or gas supply, lint or foreign bodies on burner heat exchanger.
    You need a full service, note ratio max is .0008
    The analyser will conclude any mix or break in the flue air way