Worcester Bosch green star 28i junior pressure problems

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Boilingmad, Mar 27, 2015.

1. Boilingmad

Boilingmad New Member

My boiler is 8yrs old and has in recent months has developed a problem with the pressure, every 1-2 days I have to top up the water due to the guage showing zero. I set it to 1 bar and within an hour of the central heating coming on it has climbed to 2.75 bar at which point the prv operates and when the heating goes off the guage drops fairly quickly to zero again. I have read some comments about similar problems on this site. So I suspected the expansion vessel was at fault. I tried the shrader valve and found there was air there and no sign of water, I also tested the pressure and found it to be 15 psi which should be ok? I have also noticed the radiator closest to the boiler has nearly always got air present in it, don't know if this is related, if anybody has any suggestions I would be grateful as this is driving me nuts especially with the boiler in the loft.

2. I suspect it is your expansion vessel - most of the symptoms suggest this.

The increase in pressure when the boiler heats up suggests the expanding water has nowhere to go - it would normally go into the exp vessel.

Since the water seemingly cannot go in there, it instead builds up pressure until the PRV opens at ~3bar and dumps the excess water. When your system cools down, the water contracts and - since there is less water in the system now - the pressure drops to zero.

You top it up, and the cycle repeats.

PRVs are very bad at leaking after they've been tripped - have you checked to see if it continues to dribble after the main whoooosh? That would see your pressure continue to drop.

That there is some air in the exp vessel ain't proof that it's ok - you need to check further (see below).

Lots of air appearing in a rad also points to a leaking exp vessel internal - the other cause of rad air is corrosion, but this would tend to be a slow build-up over weeks. I presume you bleed this rad? How quickly does it have air in it again? If it has significant air after chust a day or so, then I suspect that's coming from a ruptured exp vessel diaphragm (when the water side pressure drops right down, air can escape through from the pressurised air side of the vessel).

So you have an air pressure gauge and presumably a tyre pump? Cool. Time to test the exp vessel properly...

Press that Shrader valve. Like, press it, man. Hissssssssssss? Cool. Now keep pressing it until it stops...

Does it chust empty itself of air - or have you also got some water coming out towards the end?

If there's water, stop there - you've found the problem.

If there is no water, then you need to recharge the vessel, but first you need to ensure the water side is at zero pressure.

You do this by bleeding a rad (takes time) or opening a draincock if you have one. You stop when water is no longer being ejected under pressure.

Now pump up your vessel to 1 bar. Release the water side pressure again until it's zero, and see if the air pressure has dropped. If so, bring it back up to 1 bar.

Now you can top up the water side to 1 bar also.

See where that gets you.

3. Boilingmad

Boilingmad New Member

Hi, thank you for you quick response and your good advice, I have done what you said and recharged the EV, when I pressed the shrader valve only air was present and to answer your question about the radiator, yes I bleed it every day and most time air is present. I topped up the water to 1 bar and fired the boiler. I thought I was on to a winner as the guage did not shoot up as it had previously, in fact it only appeared to go up to 1.5 bar. Problem started when an hour later I looked at the boiler and the guage was just above zero? I've pumped it back to 1 bar and see what happens, going to work now, so will have to see what happens tomorrow. At least pressure hasn't rocketed and PRV hasn't operated.

4. Boilingmad

Boilingmad New Member

I noticed the pressure dropping while the boiler was on, which is a new one? I then switched the boiler off and the pressure soon dropped to zero. I have pumped it back up to 1 bar and then had to leave for work. I think I will try to recharge the EV again tomorrow and see what happens, I don't suppose it can harm anything? It seems to have done something, maybe I need to get the balance of air and water pressure just right.

5. G&W Plumbing & Heating

G&W Plumbing & Heating Active Member

Change exp vessel as valve or diaphragm could be gone, cut another vessel in somewhere if its easier

6. Hold yer hosses - not so fast :)

You fully emptied the exp vessel of air and no water came out? That's promising - it might not be a faulty vessel at all.

And the pressure climbed to only 1.5 bar max as far as you know? That's also promising.

But there's clearly water still being lost. When your PRV was opened before by the 3 bar pressure, there is a very good chance that it didn't close off properly afterwards - this is very common - so water is trickling out that pipe all the time. That's easy to observe - chust tie a poly bag over the 15mm pipe outlet.

There is a chance that everything is ok apart from this water loss, so possibly all you need is a new PRV - ~£40 for the part and less than an hour's labour. And whatever else might need fixing, a new PRV will be needed anyways.

If everything works after this, then a pressure increase to 1.5 bar when hot is fine and not an issue, and it should return to 1 bar when cold each time.

Having said that, I'm still concerned about the air turning up in that rad every day. How much is there - how long do you have to bleed it for?

A way to test if it's 'air' (from the vessel) or a by-product of corrosion is to catch some and stick a match into it... If it's a result of internal corrosion, then it'll likely be hydrogen - so will pop or squeak or burn in some way when you light it.

First, tho', please check the discharge outlet pipe to see if the PRV is letting by, and also confirm - NO water AT ALL came out of the Shrader valve, and you discharged the air from there FULLY?

7. Boilingmad

Boilingmad New Member

I decided today to start from scratch, so I fully let the air out of the EV and again no water present, I recharged to 1 bar and then did the same with the water side. I then went outside and put a poly bag over the outlet pipe. I was then ready to fire the boiler and see what happened. I started the heating and observed the guage rising from 1 bar to 2 bar someone then turned the hot water on and the pressure dropped to 1.5 bar and the green light went off on the boiler for a minute or 2, I don't know if that's normal? The green light came back on and the pressure rose to 2 bar again and then began to fall. I could hear the water escaping from what seemed to be the EV. The pressure dropped to zero.I tried it again but increased the air pressure to 1.4 bar, the pressure guage didn't go above 1 bar this time but I still had same result and pressure was lost and water was heard apparently escaping from the EV. I went outside to check the poly bag on the outlet pipe and no water was in there? So where did it go? Is there a possibility it went into the rad? I have noticed this rad to be hot when turned off on the thermostat before now. I have also not had any air for a day or two in the rad.

8. Blimey!

Any water that goes in to a rad also comes out the other end - or else the rad would blow... That expanded water will go into the whole rad system to some degree (presumably the rads will swell a small amount!), but it'll return when it all cools down again and the pressure should go back to what it was before. If the pressure has dropped, then either water is being lost, or else air is being lost from that exp vessel.

You say you can 'hear' the water 'escaping' from the exp vessel? Are you sure you aren't hearing air hissing out of it - say the valve?

This is a condensing boiler? So there is also a 22mm plastic pipe heading outside and pointing in to a drain?

If so, keep an eye on that fellow too.

When your boiler is running as normal, you should get a slug of water coming out that condensate pipe every few minutes, but water shouldn't come out of it when the boiler is cold and not running. So please check that.

9. Boilingmad

Boilingmad New Member

Hi again, I'd like to thank you for all the help and advice (particularly devils advocate) I think we might have finally got to the bottom of it. I had a heating engineer around today and he found a blockage in the pipe connecting to the expansion vessel. Once this was cleared everything seems to now work ok, fingers crossed it stays that way. I just thought I'd let you know, if anyone else has a similar problem.

10. Blimey - that gets mentioned as a possibility by a few plumbers on here, but I've always thought of it as being so unlikely... :oops:

Pleased it's sorted - that's great news :).

11. Adrian.

Adrian. New Member

One small clarification if possible please. If ev /prv etc suspect and pressure rising to 3 bar then if heating off and only hot water being used will the same events occur?
    Than you.

12. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

Yes because its the same water being heated to heat your hot water then its goes around the plate heat exchanger rather than the heating circuit.

Jitender and Adrian. like this.
  13. Adrian.

Adrian. New Member

Thank you Dave.