Worcester Bosch Greenstar 29 CDi Classic ErP - new boiler losing pressure when heating off

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by djs43, Feb 12, 2017.

1. I think that is pretty conclusive :(

2. What sort of ground floor do you have - is it suspended wood floorboards/ shipboard (how old is the house)? Any idea is there's a crawlable void under there?

It is clearly a significant leak - not exactly pishing, but a pretty fast drip I'd have thought. There are such things as leak sealers you can add to your system water, but I'd personally be reluctant to go that route - but I haven't had any experience of them.

What do peeps think? Perhaps there's nothing to lose by trying - I mean, the leak seems to be under the ground floor where it ain't causing damage and the worst that'll happen if it reappears is that the pressure starts to fall again.

What do people think?

Obviously better if the actual leak is traced and repaired, so try and get BG to come out and sort it first - and I like Mr Rusty's advice. Also, it'll be fascinating to see how they go about tracing where the leak is - will they be as good at it as you?! Keep us posted :)

djs43 likes this.
  3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

You need more than leak sealer to solve his leak, pointless bodging it, needs a proper repair.

djs43 and Deleted member 33931 like this.
  4. djs43

djs43 New Member

Hi thanks for info Mr. Rusty - I'm currently trying to confirm if house insurance would pick up the tab for leak detection/fixing.

In terms of saying "if you locate a pipe section that is leaking" though - isn't from what we've tested to date this really the only scenario where the boiler starts working properly/stops losing pressure whenever the heating is off? I.e. if we don't find the leak the boiler is going to keep losing pressure.

And is the daily topping up of water doing any potential damage to the new boiler? Or is it worse to let the boiler run where near 0 pressure? Presumably so.

Thanks.

5. djs43

djs43 New Member

Yes KIAB, I'm aware need to find source of leak and not mask it by using sealant - but to confirm, is the consensus now that it has to be a leak in the pipework i.e. it is highly unlikely to be anything wrong with the boiler/setup etc.? Thanks.

6. It's a pretty conclusive test, DJ - the isolated boiler holds its pressure, but it's clear the isolated radiator system does not (the pressure reading falls immediately you open a valve, so that shows that the rad system's pressure had already dropped).

The leak is significant - a cupful or more of water each day.

It is most likely to be under the ground floor 'cos you don't have any visible damp patches inside the hoosie. Of course, that part ain't conclusive - the pipes might run up a fairly well protected void to the next floor, so water could be trickling down there and under the floor...

Any idea how your pipes run? Usually the path is fairly obvious - like straight up from the boiler to the ceiling?

How do the ground floor rads get their flow - are you sure the pipes come from under the floor and not out from the wall (in which case they probably drop down from above).

Anyhoo, I'm surprised the boiler keeps running on 'zero' pressure - if it had a digital gauge, it would almost certainly tell the boiler to shut orf (mine does, at 0.6bar...)

But, as long as your boiler works without stupid noises, you can use it until the repair - but shut it orf if it starts to 'bang or grumble). Longer term use ain't good, tho', 'cos you are introducing fresh aerated water (why isn't that spelt airated...?) each day, and with that comes the risk of internal corrosion to your rads in particular.

No, it's nothing to do with how the boiler was set up.

One Q - do you have drain cocks for your system? Do they stick out through the outside wall? They aren't dripping, are they...?

djs43 likes this.
  7. djs43

djs43 New Member

Sorry DA, somehow the page hadn't refreshed properly and I hadn't seen a couple of your posts... must have wondered why I'm asking q's you've already answered!

The main part of the house is old around 1880 I believe with a new-ish side/kitchen extension. The most frustrating thing is all boards upstairs were replaced before the carpets went down (about 6 weeks ago!), the floor downstairs is what looks like fairly recently laid engineered timber, with new tiling in the hallway. The pipes downstairs definitely come from under floor. As the installer had to relocate a couple of downstairs rads (the two closest to boiler - we went from gravity system to combi and the new boiler was relocated slightly also) I know some pipework was moved, I believe this was in concrete under the timber as drilling was needed. There was some damp around the hallway/dining room when the old flooring was pulled up for this to happen - I can't even remember how this damp was explained away now (not leaking pipes though) but it dried out quick - this should probably be the first place we look right. We have two pipes that run up the corner of the dining room to upstairs (they are still exposed as haven't decided whether to box in or not yet).

Our stopcock and water meter sits in the (new) boiler cupboard below the boiler, none stick out externally that I am aware. I know the installer had to get National Grid out to drop the pressure to the house, we also needed a new stop cock as the old one was seized up, this wasn't taken out but a new one put in.

I am currently waiting on replies/call backs from the installer/plumber and house insurance. British Gas is fall back option as I don't think they will use 'high tech' leak detection methods.

8. djs43

djs43 New Member

In terms of finding the leak what would be required/is it possible to isolate the CH pipework upstairs in order to definitively rule out whether on ground floor or upstairs?

I've just read on this post: http://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/worcester-bosch-35cdi-ii-losing-pressure-constantly.259268/

That I may be able to hear the leak by listening to the pipes if running boiler at max temp (but not high pressure) - is this right? If so what would a lead 'sound like' compared to normal CH noises when first coming on!?

Thanks guys.

9. djs43

djs43 New Member

10. If the two pipes (flow and return) that supply your upstairs are visible as you say, then, yes, you can isolate the upstairs. It will mean cutting into both these pipes to do so (and probably fitting full-bore valves so's it can be turned back on or off when needed).

That thermal camera is interesting. However, I doubt it'll help since the amount of leakage is slight and will cool very quickly as it escapes. But, I simply don't know.

Will you be able to hear the leak? No, I doubt that very much - it's far too slight.

If leaks are covered by the BG policy, then call them out. You can always stop them if they threaten to pull up floors... :)

11. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

with regard to general house insurance, I doubt they will cover for a "repair" caused by "wear and tear/age" - particularly if the location isn't identified.- and this is probably the line they will take. I had a policy 10 years ago that I needed to claim an accidentally damaged shower tray - something caused the drain area to break away, and they at first said "wear and tear" no cover. I had to push to get the claim accepted under accidental damage. In all honesty, would never make such a claim again, too much hassle - anyways I digress -

If you find the leak and there is an obvious cause - damaged by flooring/carpet contractors, you accidentally stuck a nail through it, etc, then you might get accidental damage cover, but you'd have to find it first.

If you have BG cover for central heating, I think that's your best bet.

12. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Drain down, disconnect pipework from boiler, dry pressure test & go around with soapy water checking joints for leaks,sadly it isn't done by many today.:eek:

13. djs43

djs43 New Member

Out of interest is the dry pressure test something you would have expected the installer to do prior to commissioning new CH system (bearing in mind a lot of pipework is pre-existing and most flooring downstairs was not up unlike upstairs) - or not? I.e. do I have any argument for installer to carry out remedial works or not? Thanks.

14. That's all good and well - if you have good access to the pipes.

Which the OP does not... :p

15. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Well I would have,even more so with using pre-exsisting pipework,it hightlights any potential problems,& has saved me a lot of grief in the past by doing so.
    Some plumbers do it,but others consider it old fashioned, time comsuming & not needed.

16. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Which is a pain in the rear.

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  17. I would not expect a plumber to carry out a 'dry' test, since this involves pressurising it with air up to, presumably, 3 bar or so - bludy dangerous I'd have thought (air compresses a lot, so that would be a hell of a lot of stored energy should a fitting come apart...)

However, I would expect a plumber to monitor the wet install after being commissioned - I'd say it's actually part of the commissioning process when new pipes and rads have been added.

How was the install left after it was done - was it filled and pressurised? Or left empty - and you've only discovered the 'leak' since moving in and topping it up?

Anyhoo, to answer your Q in a simple way - if the leak is on part of the new system, then - yes - the installer is liable. I can't see any doubt on that.

So, really, if you cannot tackle this job yourself and need to call out a plumber, then the original guy is the one to call - but obviously be prepared to pay him for his time if the leak is on an old part of the system. Fair do's?

On the other hand, if your BG boiler insurance policy covers leaks, I'd be inclined to call on them first.

djs43 and KIAB like this.
  18. djs43

djs43 New Member

Hi, sorry have been away from home for a couple of days. Got back last night - now this morning when I put the boiler to heat on thermostat (off eco mode so it hasn't been on) the pressure is not going up at all (i.e. is stuck on zero)? I have held the valve open a while to fill CH system - should I continue to try and get the pressure up by adding more water to system? Thanks.

19. djs43

djs43 New Member

UPDATE: It seemed time and a bit more water was needed, now sitting on 1. Waiting on installer to get back to me about leak detection/repair - he is looking thermal camera hire to see if it would do the job.

Deleted member 33931 likes this.