Worcester Greenstar RI Constant Clicking

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by scofit, Oct 15, 2016.

1. scofit

scofit New Member

Hi All,

Hoping someone can help with some suggestions here. Central heating system with a GreenStar RI boiler.

When the hot water is on from the timer and no heating everything works lovely, no problems.

If the heating is introduced on a timer, then when the timer turns the heating off the boilers just sits there clicking (video link below). The same happens with leaving the heating on at the timer and turning the stat down to below the room temp.

I did see a while ago when I was researching this that Worcester has issues a spart part you could but to add into the circuit board, that I think was a capacitor.

Anyone got any suggestions on how to resolve this? Don't really want to call a boiler man out but it is driving us up the wall.

2. neoxerox

neoxerox New Member

Mines been doing a very similar thing so i'm very interested in your outcome! Did you get this solved?

3. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Kiab will be along now to say you should have a Valient boiler fitted instead! lol :D:D:p

4. scofit

scofit New Member

No answers yet, looks like I might have to call a local heating engineer out, just wanted to see if there were any ideas co It forward.

Hopeful someone will provide an answer versus get a new boiler :p

5. neoxerox

neoxerox New Member

I'm wondering if it's my controller (british gas branded drayton unit). Tried a new stat tonight, this turns the CH on OK, but once stat temperature is reached the clicking resumes (in the boiler, not the stat). HW isn't affected in the same way, this can come on and off as required without the excessive clicking.

6. scofit

scofit New Member

I did also wonder if it was either a controller or the stat itself, as same as you HW is not affected and doesn't bring on the clicking. What is interesting is that after a while of clicking the boiler now gives up and goes into "error mode" and the blue light flashes slowly, to fix I have to switch the min max spinner to reset and then back to where it was before (very non technical there). I recall finding an online post about 9 months ago that stated it was something in the board in the boiler that Worcester has issued a small capacitor for and it was something to do with too much current going to the boiler not to sit idle but not enough for the boiler to ignite....which again might lead you down the red herring of a new controller or stat. This is all conjuncture though as I'm not an expert :)

7. scofit

scofit New Member

Interesting that you have the exact same symptoms though which would possibly suggest a common fault! If I get a chance tomorrow I may ring Worcester to see if they have any bright ideas. I need to drain the system at the weekend to amend some radiator plumbing so the local engineer may at last resort have to be called out next week!

8. neoxerox

neoxerox New Member

9. scofit

scofit New Member

That's looks similar, although I could have sworn the one I found had a direct link to the parts page. I will give Worcester a call see what they say. Fitting it might be inte

10. scofit

scofit New Member

Worcester were about as helpful as a chocolate teapot, the guy I spoke to had never heard about them issuing a new part to resolve the issue and tried to direct me to the bookings team for a service.

Tried a couple of local companies to see if they can come up with anything first before I book someone. Any progress on your end? Also I can confirm mine is a 15Ri having actually looked at the underneath of the boiler.

11. neoxerox

neoxerox New Member

Nothing at mine yet - got a controller on the way which should hopefully rule that in or out (Wednesday I think...). Mine's a 12Ri

12. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Don't get this with my Valliant.:p

Bearing on fan, pump worn, impeller on pump,fan catching as a result, don't sound like a relay clicking.

13. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Wonder if spark/flame electrode assembly has come loose or broken & a bit of it is rattling around the heat exchanger.

14. scofit

scofit New Member

Given both replies above....would that only happen then when the CH is on? As the HW works like a dream on or off with no clicking, its only when the CH is turned off that the clicking happens? Sorry not very knowledgeable on how these systems work independently or together.

15. neoxerox

neoxerox New Member

Fitting a new controller tonight which has reduced the frequency of the clicking when heating demand isn't there, but not removed it. The controller is not the source.

WB engineer out on Friday to sort, i'll let you know what they conclude...

16. neoxerox

neoxerox New Member

Sorted.

For mine, it was a combination of things:

1. Diverter valve is outputting 97v when it shouldn't. I was advised to get a replacement valve ready, but not actually replace it until this one 'goes'.
    2. Boiler was fitted with an old/original PCB that cannot handle this incorrect input, resulting in the clicking relay. The guy simply replaced the board with the latest version that includes a capacitor to handle precisely this situation.

I hope this helps.

17. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

Cheers for reporting back, it may help others out :)

18. scofit

scofit New Member

thanks for the Update! Do you mind me asking how much a new PCB board was? I've heard horror stories!

19. neoxerox

neoxerox New Member

Don't know I'm afraid, it was covered by them from a previous service/repair contract thing. It was the only board I saw in there, the width of the boiler so you should be able to ID fairly easy.

20. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

Width of boiler :confused: so large and expensive I reckon:(