Worcester Heatslave 26/32 Diverter Valve

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by graymattor, May 29, 2017.

1. graymattor

graymattor New Member

Hi All

I think I have an issue with my Worcester Heatslave 26/32 diverter valve, I believe it is stuck in the mid position? well by stuck I mean it is not retracting fully.

I have heating, when I put the heating on the motor pushes the valve down, when it is off the motor retracts and the valve comes up, however, it is only coming up half way so when I use the hot water, I have hot water no problem but the radiators are also getting hot (not good in this weather!!)

I have a few questions
    1) I assume the motor should retract fully (the white lever all the way to the top? you can manually lift it up but I guess the valve is stuck so it just springs back)
    2) how do i remove the diverter motor? I can't seem to get it to come off and I really do not want to force it if I'm doing something wrong
    3) should I replace the motor only? or do i replace the motor and cartridge, or just the cartridge? whats the best way of fault finding to tell if it's one or the other?

This is a picture of it in the 'rest' position, no heat or hot water? as you can see its in the mid position? should it be?

[​IMG]

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Chris

2. Surf t'net for that exact make and model of valve, and you'll find all the info you'll need - probably a few good vids too.

And I'm sure some on here can help too - but we ideally need make and model.

3. graymattor

graymattor New Member

Thanks DA, i have found some useful information on the internet but cannot seem to find how to remove the valve actuator its self?

These are the part numbers
    Diverter valve - Actuator - 87161049200 (honeywell - VC4613-30)
    Diverter valve - body - 87161049190 (looks to include the cartridge)
    Diverter valve - cartridge - 87161051320

Any help would be great or ill just look at replacing the actuator and cartridge (minus the casing i can't see this being at fault unless sludged up) everything else works absolutely fine i just have both HW and CH when i call for HW only, CH works as it should

Thanks

4. heatyman

heatyman Well-Known Member

It is likely you only need the cartridge. Remove the control panel and twist the actuator to remove it. Isolate the flow and return, drain down to the height of the valve. Remove the old cartridge using the spanner supplied with the new cartridge and fit the new one. Refill and bleed, not forgetting the pump.

5. graymattor

graymattor New Member

Hi Heatyman

You are absolutely correct, the other night i worked out how to get the actuator off (i had to remove the front panel/control panel from the boiler) and straight away i could see the cartridge was stuck half way in, with a pair of pliers i could easily lift it up, i tested it a few times and it was sticking mid way. i have ordered a new cartridge that comes with the tool, the only thing i was unsure about was the draing down, where best to do it from, etc. there are a few what look like shut off vales, you can see one in the above picture which is just above the pump, do i drain using the tap right at the bottom of the internal tank? how would i know that i have drained down below the level of the cartridge? or do i drain out the pump and once it stops running i am low enough? is there an easy way to release pressure or is it just a case of doing it through teh raidoators until no pressure is left in the system?

Thank you for your help, and confirming what i have discovered

6. heatyman

heatyman Well-Known Member

Use the drain plug at the base of the heatstore. Attach your hose before releasing pressure, and the pressure will help to clear the drain. Your picture does not show the flow and return pipes which should have isolating valves. When you have drained a little out, you can loosen the cartridge and if it still leaks, tighten up and try it a little later.