Worcester Ri problems - scratching heads

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by dackers, Jan 20, 2017.

1. dackers

dackers Member

We have a 10 year old Worcester Ri Boiler which has stopped working after I drained the system. I have an engineer trying to solve the problem but so far has been unsuccessful.

The problem is the boiler fires up and stays on for a couple of minutes and goes off. The blue light was flashing.

The engineer has replaced the central heating pump, boiler fan and PCB. After replacing all this the blue light doesn’t flash but the boiler still switches off.

We have attached a hose and opened the rad drain valve slightly so that a trickle comes out in an attempt to release any trapped air.

We drained the system again, but this time shut the upstairs rads when refilling and bled all downstairs rads.

The flow and return pipes do get warm and so do the upstairs rads. The downstairs rads are cold.

Worcester support are now advising to change the wiring centre in the boiler.

The focus now is try and release any trapped air.

Long shot I know, but has anyone experienced a similar problem? Could it really be trapped air.

2. andy48

andy48 Screwfix Select

Sounds like a circulation problem. Is it a sealed system, or an open vented system? If the latter, did you clean out the expansion tank before draining, because if not the muck and sludge in the tank may have washed into the system and blocked it somewhere.

Are your downstairs radiators fed by drop down pipes from the first floor? If so, make sure there is no air in this pipework.

Quite how a drain down can affect the wiring centre is, I'm afraid, beyond me.

KIAB likes this.
  3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Quite commom crud from header tank getting drawn into & blocking system, usually at a gate valve, even port valve & pump don't escape, you'll could find a blockage.

Agree with Andy, can't see what the wiring centre has to do with the proble.

4. dackers

dackers Member

Thanks gents, I'll let you know the outcome on the other thread