Working by yourself

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by peter palmer, Oct 5, 2015.

1. peter palmer

peter palmer Screwfix Select

I don't mean for yourself but by yourself. I have worked with a lad who started off doing a bit of Saturday work with me whilst he was still in school right up to this present day and now more than 10 years later he is an equal partner. However due to the way the ***** in government have ****** over the average working man and screwed any chance of him ever getting a house he is thinking of packing it in and moving to Ireland where a lot of his family are. He can't even manage to rent a house in a half decent area, the costs are astronomical.

The problem is I just can't face working by myself after so long together, I know he cant base any decisions on what might happen to me and I cant guilt trip him about it but its just so upsetting knowing whats round the corner. How do people cope when something life changing happens like this?

2. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Look on the forthcoming events not as an end but 'a new beginning'.

3. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

Can you not employ some one else?

4. peter palmer

peter palmer Screwfix Select

I could but, and I know its soppy but it just wouldn't be the same. I'd rather jack it in.

5. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

Sounds like you were a good team together.

6. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

I had an apprentice for over 2 years for family reasons he had to leave I got him were his work was excellent and for a while was hard working on my own but now I enjoy it you will but get used to it

7. sinewave

sinewave Screwfix Select

TBH I prefer not having someone with me all the time

Lets me go shopping, do banking, get me hair cut etc etc between jobs

KIAB and seneca like this.
  8. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Second thought.........jack it in, I've worked so hard in my life I often pass myself going to work when I'm going home..ain't worth it...throw in the towel!:confused:

9. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Same here Sine.

10. Hi Peter.

What do you mean by 'jacking it all in'? Is it giving up working for yourself and getting a job with a company instead? Or do you really mean giving up work completely?

If the latter, can you afford to do this? If 'yes', then the choice is yours. If 'no' - then carry on without the guy, and consider taking on an apprentice or partner further down the line. But give it a go completely on your own first - it might not be as bad as you think, and you'll also know whether you'll be taking on a new worker for the right reasons (ie - not just to fill that gap in your life, that leaking bucket of a soul, that punctured expansion vessel of a heart, that...).

Other options? Move to Ireland...

Seriously, I'm sorry to hear of your situation, and I think it's really touching that you come on here and bare your soul like that.

Like most personal loses, tho', it will get better. Corny line - but usually true.

FatHands and KIAB like this.
  11. retiredsparks

retiredsparks Super Member

A close friend of mine did not smoke and drank very little .....worked shifts all his life.
    Saved.
    Paid off his mortgage.
    Got married last year.
    Daughter just left uni and got her first job in NHS....last week.
    He died this week after two massive operations, chemo and raditherapy over last dreadful year.....he was 50 years of age.

You all decide if your 'work' or a new car or extra holiday is that important to you.
    regards
    RS

12. Jeepers, that's tragic, Ret. :(

But not exactly typical, tho'?

You do make a very good point; just how much 'work' is necessary, and is it at the expense of enjoying life? 'Cos that is all we are here for - to enjoy life (and, ok, pass on our genes - which is usually enjoyable too... :rolleyes: )

Too many people work their arrisses off for more than that, tho' - they slave away to 'keep up' with others, for a better car, to accumulate things they really have no use for. A never ending circle of slogging and reward.

If that's what you genuinely want, then fine. But if you ain't genuinely happy because of it, then you've made a giant error.

13. Why all the 'jack it in'

I say grow the business...

14. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

Just give it a go on your own and see how it goes.
    I prefer working alone myself, unsociable B****** that's me!
    It was just me and Radio 4, before I finally decided to pack it in and retire.
    Only time I had help was for something like fitting long runs of plaster coving or footing a ladder, then the Mrs would get her overalls on:D.

KIAB likes this.
  15. Ah, Mr Teabreak! Yes, Radio 4 will fill many a gap in your life :).

Awesome station.

16. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

From a two man team that works well together to a one man band the productivity drops by two thirds.

17. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

18. parahandy

parahandy Screwfix Select

Tell him you love him.

Do it now before it's too late.

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  19. wemattthejoiner

wemattthejoiner New Member

I worked alone for 7 years loved it but ceilings steels and lintels took there toll am only 37 but work for a company now life's easier but the wage isn't close and you have to work with whatever they put you with mostly I'm dragging dead weight about.pays the bills that's all no enjoyment anymore.