working for builders

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Paco de Lucia, May 25, 2016.

1. Paco de Lucia

Paco de Lucia Member

I am finding that I do about 75% of my work for builders which is good in that they tend to be bigger jobs (extension and loft conversion refurb / rewires) and that they tend to come on a plate

but bad in that I have to put up with all the usual builder **** like having to work to their timescale and not mine

Just wondering what other mostly domestic sparks are doing for their work....

2. peter palmer

peter palmer Screwfix Select

There is only one or two private builders who I would contemplate doing work for and I don't particularly like doing that. I will try working for other builders but it rarely gets past doing one job for them, most are clueless muppets who could be millionaires if only they would do things in the right order.

3. stateit

stateit Screwfix Select

If you find a good builder, stick with them. They're not all barstewards. You should be able to sit down with them and discuss how you can both make good money out of it.

You have to shop about a bit though...

4. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Not a sparks but I hate working for builders.

5. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

A lot is down to communication. Tbf, sparks and plumbers tend to be the biggest pain in the a** ;)

KIAB likes this.
  6. peter palmer

peter palmer Screwfix Select

We're the only ones with the brains to spot a catastrophe.

7. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Ha ha...therein lies the problem!

8. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

My advice for working for builders, DON'T !

KIAB likes this.
  9. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Good advice.

10. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Not all builders are muppets...and you have to see it from the other side. Even on a smallish job there is so much 'behind the scenes' work that goes into running and organising a job. Sparkys have it easy in most cases as they can walk in (if you can get them when you need them) run a couple of cables and walk away with out all the hassle. ;)