Working out pitch lean to ext

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Kaned93, Aug 19, 2017.

1. Kaned93

Kaned93 Member

Hi again just a quick one i have the wall plate and wall bearer fitted at correct heights question to to cut the plumb line how to you work out the pitch i know how as far and calculations but from whst points do you meaure? Top of rafter bottom of wall plate erc etc thanks in advance kane

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Last edited: Aug 19, 2017
  3. Kaned93

Kaned93 Member

thanks mate for reply
    I just don't know where to measure from bottom.of wall plate? or top and run is it to them end of the outer leaf or inner?

4. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

I'm not being crabby now mate, just employ a carpenter for a day, it clearly is not helping you the advice I and others have given before so I don't know why you'd struggle.

5. Kaned93

Kaned93 Member

must be frustrating giving advice to people like me mate I know but wont learn that way, which is what I'm trying to do this forum has been great. if you don't want to help that's fine bud

6. Kaned93

Kaned93 Member

also advice you gave about the bearer did work as I fitted it today with measurements you kindly helped me with

7. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Not at all, I have tried to help you, albeit on a different thread, im just offering my advice that by the time you suss out the basics on a cut roof, you could be living in it by now.

8. Kaned93

Kaned93 Member

yeah I know mate I'm just trying to learn that's all time isn't an issue just want to understand it all! I appreciate your help on previous thread helped me out alot today!

9. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

I usually work out the plumb cut (by trigonometry, or wizardry), then take site measurements for the birdsmouth cut (birdsmouth cut uses the same plumb cut as the top of the rafter and then a 90 degree off that)
    It's usual for the wall plate to rest on the inner leaf. Just let the rafters overhang the outer leaf then plumb cut them after they're all up (string a line through across them where ya want the fascia board to fix to them)

10. Kaned93

Kaned93 Member

ok mate thanks alot

11. Adam124

Adam124 New Member

Ok so you have a wall plate bolted to the house I'm assuming and one fixed to the inside skin of the brick/blockwork.
    What size timbers are you using for the roof? 6x2 7x2?
    If 6x2 a simple way to get your plumb line and birds mouth depth is to, get some 4x2, that will reach from wall plate to wall plate cut any angle to one end, hold the long point of this to the top of the wall plate that's on the house and sit the 4x2 on the other wall plate which is on the block work so you have it going from wall plate to wall plate. Take a spirit level mark a plumb line anywhere on the 4x2. This will be your plumb cut! Now, when marking the actual rafter lay 4x2 on the outside edge of the 6x2 which will leave you a depth of 2inches fror the birds mouth cut out. I've probs explaianed that terrible but it's actually really simple