Working round ****

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by peter palmer, Apr 29, 2016.

1. peter palmer

peter palmer Screwfix Select

How many of you put up with working round stuff on site. The last 4 or 5 jobs we have been on the builder has let the customer keep the old kitchen and appliances functioning whilst the build is going on.

Today we have spend the day lugging fridges and kitchen units full of food round the job, along with a sofa an the rest of the building junk he has left on site. Hardly any wiring got done. We get paid an hourly rate so its no loss but there is so much other work for other people to get through nothing is getting done.

What do you do when you turn up on a job and its a shithole? walk or spend the day moving stuff around. Personally if I wanted to put my back out I would have chosen a job as a labourer.

2. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Hmm, not sure Peter, but If I was having our house done up, I'd expect the builder to leave me at least a sink and cooker in the kitchen whilst building works being done.

Used to fit new kitchens in council properties,(lived in ones) years ago, and as a minimum, we had to leave them with a working sink and cooking facilities by the end of the first day. Must admit the job was easier when we worked on refurb properties where the tenant had been moved into another property whilst theirs was done up. (but that meant going back to the "decamp" houses every time a tenant moved back into their house.. I reckon the decamp houses must have cost more than the houses we were refurbishing, what with the (almost) constant repairs) ;);)

3. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

You're on an hourly rate, whats the problem.
    If your builder wants to pay sparks money to move stuff about then the guys a fool, but wheres your beef, you're getting paid.

Now if it was on a price totally different, I would stipulate that all rooms have to be clear or there would be a charge of £x per hour to move the stuff.

Day rate, hourly rate = kin easy life

4. peter palmer

Well my beef is a few things, firstly why should I risk putting my back out doing a labourers job when I have put a lot of time and effort into getting where I am and not have to work hard for decent money. But mainly its time, there are a lot of people waiting for us to do their job, and as you know nobody likes waiting so today was wasted moving **** round and not getting the place wired, that's another day where we cant be somewhere else and I will get grief of the other people who have to wait longer.

Also the labourers who he has got working for him spend most of the day smoking roll ups and lying on the grass. But what gets me is the customer expects you to work round all their stuff whilst they have a clear living room to go and sit in at night.

5. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

Recently quoted a job, customer had just moved in. While on site to quote, I asked if the loft was empty, poked my head up, not a thing, not boarding, 4" of insulation. Old chap said it was going to be insulated and boarded, but not for sometime. "Perfect" I said, I don't want a thing up there, it's far easier. The chap kept saying during my visit "I will get some of the boarding done for you before you come". I kept saying (and his wife kept installing into him) that I didn't want anything up there, and my quote assumed it would be left.

I get to site, the whole loft is boarded. The old chap is happy to announce that he got it all done.

6. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Perhaps the labourer is thinking the same way as you Peter..:)

7. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

Original quote should ask certain questions.
    Are the premises going to be occupied, are rooms going to be clear of furniture, are we expected to move stuff around etc etc.
    As already suggested one has to provision for certain facilities in the kitchen to be available still, it's good customer relations, unless prior arrangements have been made.
    It's all in the fine detail when arranging the job, in writing, anything over and above is a delay and thus needs debating.

8. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

I still don't quiet get it pete, maybe you are ready to go out on your own and price your own work and take your own risks. When you do years of price work and risk, a bit of day rate every now and then is like a busman's holiday
    As for the labourers, well your builder is obviously a bad boss or doesn't mind the p155 being taken out of him, the former I think

9. peter palmer

Nearly all the work we do we quote for, its just this builder, you would be mad to do a quote for him because you would lose out every time, we insist on doing it day rate or not doing it at all, but its getting to the point where I would rather sit at home that do his work, I just hate his jobs.

10. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

Tell him you can only give him so much time and if his boys don't pull their fingers out the job won't get done, tell him you have other commitments, try not to burn any bridges though, he might be a royal pain now but if you're ever sat with no work, his work might appeal, try and reason with the fella, explain to him how much money he is loosing, and if you can't beat em, join em, don't forget your sun lotion

11. peter palmer

Believe me I have tried, this job could have been all 1st fixed today, as it stands now I still need another day on it. We are however busy from now on and wont be able to get back to it until at least a week on Monday but I know he wants it plastering next week.

This is going to cause all sorts of grief for me because he is going to be on my case trying to get me to rearrange my jobs so he can get a payment from it to pay his idiot labourers. Is it really worth the hassle.

12. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

You have 3 days to relax now and if you feel the same on tuesday bin him.
    We spend a third of our day at work, you have to enjoy it. (most of the time)

13. peter palmer

2 days, working Monday.

14. HuttonIT

HuttonIT New Member

I am just finishing a complete renovation and have had labourers, or me, on site for this very reason. Unloading, jet-washing, cleaning up after the mucky trades, making the teas, moving stuff etc... I never have a problem with the trades, what I do have a problem is with the 'General Builders' who all claim to be top rated at every trade but can't do any of them but still want tradesman wages for doing what I consider to be semi-skilled.

'You can find fault in anyone's work but unless you can do better shut-up'

15. stateit

stateit Screwfix Select

Well... A couple of years ago I moved about 75% of my work to one builder despite all the above mentioned chaos. It took a couple of years ironing the wrinkles out before this but I persevered. I know each refurb is going to be spread over a few months. I know it could be done in a 'clean space' in a couple of weeks with two of us, but I charge for 4 weeks. There's always three major jobs on the go, and several minor ones. Plus the jobs are now ones where the customer moves out for at least half, or for the whole, job (which I know is an unusual luxury, but that is how the job planning has developed. To our favour).

He knows I'll get the job done on time. The plumber, plasterer and carpenters are all in the same boat. We all work around each other and manage to get on. And work is booked in for over a year in advance.

So it can work.

16. fire

fire Well-Known Member

That sounds like just about every job i have ever had.
    You just have to deal with it, nothing is perfect.

I had a job once re-wiring a full cat 6 network, noe yes i maybe a geek/nerd myself but worjing in a room filled with passive smoke from cannabis was not particularly the problem. Getting my body to follow the command i gave it was a big problem.

Yes you have to work around allot of things and that does change the way you do things, a neat wiring job to your own accord vs holly **** i must get this bit done first and then that

17. parahandy

parahandy Screwfix Select

Speaking from a punters view point, there's nothing worse than a mardy tradesman mumping his way through your dosh with utter contemp.

Maybe better to walk. For yours and the punters sake

madhatter1uk likes this.
  18. philthespark

philthespark Active Member

A few year back we rewired a terraced,the woman was a dream to work for,whatever we asked was no problem,her son was a different matter.He was a typical surly 17 year old who got up when he wanted and did what he wanted,well day 3 and I'd had enough he kept putting his stereo on full bore and we couldn't stand it,in the end I cut the plug off! then he waited 'till we'd got boards up in the bathroom and decided to take a bath,I lost it completely and when he'd eventually got dressed and given us a load of abuse,I dragged him outside and cabletied him to a lamp post.His mother came home and asked why he was tied to the post,we told her and she was delighted "this will be the first time I can give him a bloody good hiding without him running off"

19. Brian_L

Brian_L Active Member

I've noticed that old people tend not to listen at all, The last couple of days I've been working at my parents house. Working with my fathers 'help' is like trying to climb a ladder with your ankles chained to the first rung. Talking to him is not much better, I told him we will go to B&Q for timber as it's cheaper (and the timber is better) than the local builders merchants and the reply I got was "yes, yes, we will go to the builders merchants".

20. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

I worked in a black keys house, he was a follower. Trailing behind you all the time. That is until the loft......he HAD to go up first, to show me were the light switch was, were the joists were, were I couldn't stand. Almost like he assumed I had never been in a loft before!

Brian_L and sparky Si-Fi like this.