Worktop Filler - Large Fill

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by besp, Jun 4, 2014.

1. besp

besp New Member

Morning,

Overshot 1/2" router bit in the end-grain of a belfast sink cutout. Photo below.

Oak worktop, currently unfinished and will be finished with danish oil.

I'm looking for a filler that will be robust enough for this large fill at the the edge of the sink but will still take the oil - I have a concern that a 2-part will not change colour with the oil?

Any ideas or experiences?

Thanks.
    [​IMG]

2. joiner1959

joiner1959 Active Member

Ooops!! Is this for yourself or a customer? If its your own, patch it in with the sink cut out (if you think you can live with it) If its for a customer get your hand in your pocket! Don't know of any filler that would even begin to look any more than a botch up.

besp likes this.
  3. metrokitchens

metrokitchens Screwfix Select

Not sure from that photo what you have done. Is it an internal corner you have messed?
    Perhaps tighten the radius? Re cut with less overhang. Worst case you could splice in an offcut and re shape.
    Better photos / description would help.

besp likes this.
  4. besp

besp New Member

Thanks gents,
    It's for me so I'm happy to try and fix before replacing.
    Yes it's an internal corner. I had cut the two corners and when routing the straight to join them (left to right at top of photo), i overshot into the radius. The problem is the half of a 1/2" bit area where the straight and radius meet - does that make more sense metro?

My current thinking is to square off the over-cut and glue in some more worktop as metro suggested. My concern with that is that it will be mainly glued end grain to end grain. What would the best type of glue be for that?

5. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Aliphatic resin glue's probably your best bet for glueing a spliced bit in. Personally I'd cut out a square/oblong section and splice into that, so it's glued on three sides, rather than just the end grain.

6. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

If you could cut a plug out of the worktop offcut of the correct radius using say a hole cutter in a pillar drill with the centre drill removed you might be able to glue it in using timberweld or the glue that jj mentioned. It will take some ingenuity with regards to clamping but should work.
    You could try fixing something with a 12.5 dia to the bottom of a scrap piece of worktop and running a bearing guided cutter round it to make the plug.

7. besp

besp New Member

Joinerjohn1 - I'm not familiar with aliphatic resin glue - can you give me a brand name?
    Chippie244 - That's something different - I'll have to see what cutters i could use.

8. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Titebond III ultimate wood glue, should do the trick. (it's an aliphatic resin wood glue)

besp likes this.
  9. Mblack

Mblack Member

I might be missing something here but how big a radius were you putting in the corners? It's hard to tell from the photo, why don't just reduce the radius, could go down to 12.5 mm?

10. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

You could be right there.

11. besp

besp New Member

I cut back, glued in an off-cut and re-routed to original line.
    Ended up using Cascamite for it's gap filling properties.
    Pretty pleased with the outcome.
    Thanks for your advice.
    [​IMG]

12. metrokitchens

metrokitchens Screwfix Select

Very nice work there. Well done.
    It does look as though you could have re cut using a smaller radius. Depending on your sink that is. Or maybe not.