Worktop jig, male cut, what am I doing wrong!?

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by shorn, Oct 31, 2016.

Tags:
  1. shorn

shorn New Member

Hi all,

First time posting here, but used it many times in the past for good info, so hoping someone can help.

I'm fitting kitchen worktops. Probably should have got someone in to do the job, but thought I'd tackle it.

Ive borrowed a neighbours router and jig. the jig is branded as Magnet trade, but I think its basically the Unika one. Female cuts are fine. The wortop is 635mm deep, so I need to add a 15mm shim on rough edge to use the 650mm peg holes.

The problem I'm having is with the male cuts. I keep getting a squared, angled edge, rather than the matching smooth angle. its a 30mm collet, 1/2" cutter so everything shoudl be fine. I'm making sure that I've got the router pulled towards the edge of the channel closest to me, so it should be giving the smooth angle, but I keep getting the sharper angle cut.

I'll get a photo posted shortly, but is there anything obvious I'm doing wrong??

Heres the photo

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 31, 2016
  2. shorn

shorn New Member

OK, think Ive answered my own question. Watched this video...

and it mentions about the square edge. It's the final pass that takes it off. Still cant quite fathom how, but just tried and it worked perfectly!

3. metrokitchens

metrokitchens Screwfix Select

When you follow the outside edge of the jig you get the sharp corner. When you finish off following the inside edge you get the slight round.

Doall likes this.