Worktop joints

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by Chris Pipkin, Apr 6, 2015.

1. Chris Pipkin

Chris Pipkin New Member

Guys, can someone give me a difinitive answer as to how I should join two pieces of worktop please.

I am not a joiner, nor a kitchen fitter however I am reasonable at DIY and tool handling so pretty happy to give this a go.

My kitchen is a galley style with one side being 3150mm in length. The worktop that has been ordered is 3000mm in length so I need to make a join to extend it to the full 3150mm.

My question is do I use a straight butt joint (with the clamps underneath in the routed pockets to tighten it up) or do I go the whole hog and use a male & female mitred joint? I have seen mitred joints used for 90 degree joints, but I can't find it used for this situation which either means its an obvious answer, or it shouldn't be done.

Thoughts please.

Thanks in advance
    Chris

2. Chris Pipkin

Chris Pipkin New Member

Further to the above, we are talking laminate worktops. The edges will be rough cut - i.e. no edging on them, just bare chipboard. Cheers.

3. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

It shouldn't be done.

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Should have bought your worktop in 4 metre lengths.

5. Chris Pipkin

Chris Pipkin New Member

Sadly it wasn't an option for 4m lengths.

I appreciate the comments. Why shouldn't it be done? What is my best option?

6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Worktop connector is 150mm, you extension is same length, I reckon it will break out over time.

I've used 10mm dowels to join worktop in the past, 600mm wide worktop so 6 dowels, probably using a No.20 Biscuits might also work.

Can also get 12mm dowel.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2015
  7. MalcyB

MalcyB Active Member

I've done it on mine. Looks like a continuous worktop.
    Just make the 3Mt bit shorter and the 150 bit longer (i.e 2.50Mts and 650mm)
    But best to do with a router and jig that will do straight cutting.

8. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

I had to join worktop before (5.5m run and impossible to get that length) Dogboned the joint and used colorfill between both pieces of worktop. ;);)

9. Chris Pipkin

Chris Pipkin New Member

Cheers guys. The advice is appreciated. I have no other option than to join these two bits so I'm just after people's experiences.

So butt the two surfaces together and use the clamps underneath with some colourfill.

Cheers!