Worktop mitre querie.

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by Aztec, Nov 28, 2015.

1. Aztec

Aztec New Member

image.jpg image.jpg I may just be looking at this with a fitters eye and not how a customer would look at it. My question to people who fit kitchens is what do you think of the scribe the customers made up with them and Im sure you can never get a mitre 100% all the time. The worktops are howdens 616 square edge which we cut the full front edge off the female length and re edged as there was a curved corner cabinet at the end of the run. All coments apretiated.

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Wish peeps could learn to rotate photo's.:mad:

3. Aztec

Aztec New Member

Photos look right way up to me. I had to make them smaller to upload

4. jeznotts

jeznotts Member

hi so whats the problem? looks fine to me, i normally cut them by hand, only used a jig for the first time recently, quite liked it tho!

5. Aztec

Aztec New Member

Old school that cutting by hand only tried it once and didn't turn out to bad. Jig and router are the way forward though. It's probably just me looking at it from a fitters view. I just think the start of the mitres could be better

6. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Is that a little tear out at the 45 ? but a small smear of filler should hide it completely.

Has someone complained?

7. Aztec

Aztec New Member

No mate no tear out it was just after it was cleaned so it still had a bit of joint fill on it. Maybe I should of taken another pic after Id cleaned it fully lol. No no one complained the customer was over the moon with it. There'd had a few kitchens over the years and said it was the best mitre they had seen. Probly just me being anal lol

8. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

If you are happy and the customer is happy why worry

9. Aztec

Aztec New Member

I worry about worrying lol. Just wondered what others thought.

tore81 likes this.
  10. metrokitchens

metrokitchens Screwfix Select

Joint looks fine. Half the time the tops are so bowed that the joints are never perfect.
    Not so keen on the silicone round the sink.
    Post a pic of the finished job - always good to see a nice fit.

11. Aztec

Aztec New Member

Thanks metro yer they never are straight the howdens wortops. the side of the sink you can see the silicone is because the sink has a slight curve in it where it's come out of the mold. It was the best of 3 the others were all over the show I'll post some pics up next week when we've tiled it.

12. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

I like that nice job,

You can get OCD with types of fits. If the customer is happy you should be happy.

How did you do the curve? Looks nice.

I've bought my festool looking to get a router and jigs soon. As I want to put this on my goal for next year. Kitchens are nice work. And plenty to get on with surprising how much work goes into them.

I have done a few but not with these joints they really good.

Do you use the fugi tool kit for silicone after .

13. metrokitchens

Fitted a ceramic lay on sink last week. Wickes kitchen. Casting was all over the shop (they always are), had to double check my worktops for level just to be sure. I leave them as they are - just sealed with the bead of clear silicone the sink is bedded into. I hate silicone round anything.

14. Aztec

Aztec New Member

image.jpg image.jpg Thanks tore81. I think that's all it is I think a lot of us have ocd with certain things. I started by cutting the wortop to a rough length then flipped it and clamped my fes rails to it 3mm back from the edging and cut along the full length, flipped it back over and used a curved jig on the corner re-edged the whole length apart from 600mm from the end where the female cut was going. This job has taken me and my mate 9days so far it was a full rip out plaster off new electrics the lot. I use a couple of types of silicone screeders blue square ones are my favourites. i had a festool router a couple years ago, and it give up the ghost on a job so ran out and bought an erbauer one for £100 not the best but it does the job just as good. The pics above are day one it was the only way this kitchen was getting done the plaster was literally falling off.

15. Aztec

Aztec New Member

There rubbish mate can't believe they can sell stuff like that, I do bathrooms Aswell and see it all the time especially with the cheap Chinese import stuff

16. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

Do you use the fugi kit Cramer or the fugen boy. I'm looking at buying one. As i have bought **** in the past.

A kitchen fitter mate uses the erbauer funny enough. He says its enough for the job and does fire doors etc.

17. Aztec

Aztec New Member

18. metrokitchens

I fit about 45 kitchens a year. over the last couple of years half of them are having stone and a few corian. This means i only fit laminate tops 20 times a year, maybe less. I am now happy to use a cheaper router as it is no longer used as much. Currently on a Hitachi model from our hosts. Just about OK but i have used better. I would rather put money into a track saw and mitre saw.

Aztec likes this.