worktop reset of joint

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by hoddit and doddit, Mar 9, 2014.

1. hoddit and doddit

hoddit and doddit New Member

hello people,
    have been asked to sort out a laminated 28mm ikea worktop joint which is not flush at the front edge.

its a mason mitre job with bolts and visible colorfill in there,the question is on the colorfill itself..

after the bolts,what is the best way to carefully seperate the colorfill binding in order to reset the joint ??

any advice appreciated,cheers

2. You will have to use solvent I believe that they do a 150ml bottle also they my not of just used Colorfill some fitters use silicone salient on the bottom edge

3. Ryan Henderson

Ryan Henderson New Member

The best way to do this is to use a solvent. For more easy approach, you can opt for a sprayed version of solvent. It is easy to use and provide maximum benefits.

4. i already said this lol

5. Mblack

Mblack Member

I find the only way to reset a joint is to advise the customer that it's not always a guaranteed good outcome once sealants have gone off then "crack" the joint by taking the bolts out, drilling stitch holes underneath (not all the way through) then prying apart.