worktop router help

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by tiptoptiler, May 11, 2014.

1. tiptoptiler

tiptoptiler New Member

Hi guys please help
    is a straight cut 1/4" shaft the same as a 1/2" worktop cutting bit?

As the routher i have is only a 1/4" 3/8"
    So cant use a 1/2" worktop cutting bit!!!!!!!
    im planning to get a trend unibase to fit to it so i can use a 30mm bush.
    With 900mm worktop jig for mason miters.

I can only find 1/2" worktop cutting bits but they look the same as a straight twin flute bit???

want to use a 1/4" TCT 16mm + 20mm straight cutter with a 30mm bush on a jig can it be done this way???
    I want to do it this way as im just starting out an dont have the cash to just run out an get the top of the line routers

2. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

1/4" shaft is a tad small for cutting worktops. As your just starting out, beg steal or borrow a 1/2" router (or even consider hiring one )

3. tiptoptiler

tiptoptiler New Member

thanks joinerjohn1 i am trying trust me i am.
    but can it done done in say 10mm deep passes

4. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Even with a 1/2" router, you'd only be doing 10mm passes. If you've never used a worktop jig before, read the instructions before trying to cut worktop mitres with it. Practice with any spare bits of worktop (even the old ones coming out) ;););)

5. tiptoptiler

tiptoptiler New Member

Thats my plans as if only used the bosses router till now going it alone an done about 3 masons loads of sinks hobs ect.

im planning on getting a used trend or howdens jig.
    an trying my router out with the straight cutting bit 1/4 shaft an see if i can do it or even et on with it.
    Then go from there got all my other kit its just the carpentry side of things like the router plunge saw trimmer ect im still getting to grips with

6. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

The rule I go by is to only take a cut that is half the depth of the dia of the shank so I take 6mm passes. Get a bigger router.

7. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Agree with Chippie and John, you will struggle bigtime with a 1/4inch router.

I think you may struggle to find a 1/4 inch cutter long enough. Also you will get some real wobble with a 1/4 inch shank when its right out on full reach even if you can find a cutter.

Not sure why this is all underlined!

I think Festool make a 1/4 inch designed to do worktops but that a whole different area of wallet opening!

Get a big router

8. tiptoptiler

tiptoptiler New Member

thanks guys what do you think is a good cheep 1/2" router i know you cant get good and cheap together but its worth a try

9. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

a good used one, such as this