Worktop that returns to the floor

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by Stortford Nigel, Jan 22, 2016.

1. Stortford Nigel

Stortford Nigel New Member

I have been asked to fit a worktop that returns 90* down to the floor to to form an end panel
    I have seen them fitted, do you buy these are mitred or cut on site, even as a carpenter that will be hard to get a crisp finish
    Cheers
    Nigel

2. seen it all before

seen it all before Active Member

Leave the actual work top overhang and fit worktop edging as normal. Then fit work top down to floor as you would a normal end panel.

3. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

I think this is what he wants

upload_2016-1-23_0-56-54.png

Where the corner is mitered and no edge showing.

There are two ways of doing it a) really, precise cut with a quality table saw or track saw or b) Cut the worktop with a mitre and use a plain board and use a matching veneer or laminate on top of the plain board which you can then trim to get a good join

4. seen it all before

seen it all before Active Member

I realised that's what he was after, what i meant to say was I would not do it that way, it's not an easy thing to do on site and unless you have a large workshop with good saws capable of doing it ,if you attempt it on site with the customers work tops you are likely to end up wasting a length or 2 of work top and end up with an inferior finish. If you dont get that cut absolutely perfect with a really sharp blade that edge/finish will be rough and sharp to touch.

5. Stortford Nigel

Thanks
    I thought track saw, but that sharp edge will make it a no no, as the customer has a tight budget a square cut it is.
    Surprised a work top manufacturer hasn't come up with a pre finished solution, but as they cant put a good end on their work tops, maybe not.

6. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

What is the worktop made out of ?

7. Stortford Nigel

It will be a laminate of some sort
    Not yet ordered the materials

8. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

May be worth scouting around some of the local woodworking units to see if they will do the cuts for you

9. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

OK I'm no chippie. but while it will work with solid timber I fail to see how it will work with laminate, you will have a razor sharp edge or if smoothed off the usual joint line you get on square edge worktop.
    Sounds like the customer wants a high end finish with budget materials, guess who will get the flack if it doesn't work out:(.

seen it all before likes this.
  10. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

It's a no no, don't go there.

CGN likes this.
  11. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Heat, melt, merge and roll the ends together dontya?

Mr. HandyAndy - Really