Worktops - does it matter where a joint is ?

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by bromadrosis, May 14, 2014.

1. bromadrosis

bromadrosis New Member

OK, I am not a kitchen fitter but am installing my kitchen.

I am getting a fitter to cut the worktops for me but want to know if there are any special rules about where the cuts/joints are - I am having a T shaped kitchen, with a breakfast bar as the leg. Can I get the 2 lengths of 620mm worktop joined as one straight run then have the wider part (the breakfast bar) jointed in to the middle or is that a difficult/possibly problematic process ?

The reason for this is to keep the joints away from the sink, and also as it leaves me with a good off-cut that I can use in a different place.
    Thanks for any help !

2. metrokitchens

metrokitchens Screwfix Select

Not the usual way but perfectly possible. Better be a good fitter though as the mitre alignment will need to be spot on.
    I would be adding another 50% on to the job for the hassle.

3. bromadrosis

bromadrosis New Member

Thanks Metrokitchens - I sort of figured it might be a bit of a pain but it will save me on the cost of a new length of worktop which will be less than the extra labour charges, assuming the guy is good...!

4. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

There is no way that the labour charges for that will be less than the cost of a new top. Sound like there is a lot that can go wrong with this.

If I read you right you want the head of the "T" to be crossways joint meeting an inline joint. That has alignment issues written all over it not to mention the one point of vulnerabilty being where three routed faces meet.

If the main reason for doing this is to save money then I wouldnt do it. If the layout meant it had to happen then so be it.

I wouldnt add 50% on I would double my price at least as this sound like a real timetaker.

5. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I think he means having the "leg" of the tee coming out of the wall at right angles to it with female mitres and the top of the tee's joining it, I could be wrong.

6. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

I think he wants a butt joint on the long run and then the b-bar jointed into the long run where the butt is with a a ahem "double ended female" fnar fnar. If that is the case thats a complex joint to do, not impossible but a massive amount of ballache to save an offcut of top for the garage or utilty.

I am sure a "double ended female going into a butt" is something the Vice Squad would be interested

7. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I thought that at first but the mention two lengths and the fact that it was a stupid way of doing it made me discount that idea.

8. bromadrosis

bromadrosis New Member

That's what I was meaning, and it sounds like its not a good idea from what you guys are saying.
    I do have a use for the offcut in the same kitchen but was hoping to avoid the cost of another length of worktop and the delivery costs involved, but not if it is a complex joint and a pain for the fitter.

Many thanks for the help !