World Security 1946 to date

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by PaulBlackpool, May 16, 2015.

1. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Yep, apparently there's boat loads of folks trying their damnedest to get here. ;););)

2. PaulBlackpool

PaulBlackpool Screwfix Select

See my post above 9th & 10th lines , Shakespeare said what you have just said hundreds of years ago;););)

3. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

I didn't say that I supported Putins approach or that I wanted him to invade the Baltics.

Maybe the last sentence should have been a separate paragraph!

What I meant was that over the last 20 or so years the rest of the world has tried to marginalise Russia from having influence.

Russia has a legitimate position at the top table without constantly being painted as the hardline "niet" merchants vetoing everything. The dismissive nature of it plays into the hands of Putin. And ends up with Russia being even more of isolated nation far away from prying eyes.

With the way the middle east is every point of influence is needed at present.

PaulBlackpool likes this.
  4. Yes - Russia has been deeply humiliated over the past few of decades since they effectively lost the 'cold war' and their tie to communism. The West - rather than being positive and supportive - gloated a bit.

And psychos like Putin don't react very well to that sort of thing...

5. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Exactly right. When you look at Putins unlikely and determined route to power it all stems back to the fall of the Berlin Wall. Putin was in East Germany that day and left in a hurry embarrassed and humiliated.

One of my mates was in Berlin that day too and decided not to go out to take part in the events because the crowds were big and he had a new sandwich toaster to try out! 100% true

6. PaulBlackpool

And we in the "West" must have a slightly skewed view of Russia as they must have of us.

What exactly are America's intentions on the world stage? :-
    1. Total domination.
    2. A helpful policeman
    3.Just to ensure that all their population continues to have a peaceful existence.

7. PaulBlackpool

I will reply.
    Who cares, who knows?
    I care for my kids' sake and future generations but I do not know.:)

8. Sorry, Paul. I really thought I'd replied to your question - but now find half of it completed in pale grey but not posted...

Anyways, I'm not going to be cynical - I'm not, I'm not. I actually think - especially under Obama - it's 2.

9. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

If it was up to Obama, I'd agree, but as we all know, the leader of a country isn't that, but a mear puppet that fronts the show, so 1 is the answer to this particular question.

10. PaulBlackpool

Yes I like Obama and I Hillary Clinton gets to be president.

11. PaulBlackpool

Totally agree especially as Obama is a "lame duck" president who does not have a majority in either house and so he will have even less influence. I like him but he is just a figurehead at present.
    As you will no doubt know and agree there are massive unseen political and financial forces at large in the USA.

Look at the Vietnam War. Millions died just as a result of differing political ideology IMHO.

So I answer to my own question I think "Hawkes" 1; "Doves" 2 with a little bit of 3.