Worst house you have ever worked in

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by leaky Pete the plumber, Oct 9, 2015.

1. For me it was the one where the top of the kitchen cabinets were four inches deep in cat poo, or possibly the one with maggots crawling along the kitchen work tops, does anyone suffer the same or have I just been unlucky.

2. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

You must be desperate for work going into those tips.

3. I'm not self Employed yet and have worked for council contracts and social housing so 50 percent is scary stuff.

4. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

You could pick up disease in homes like that. The people living in them are immune.

Pack plenty of dust sheets to keep your tools clean.

5. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Years ago I worked on council house refurbishments. The council set half a dozen houses aside as "decamp" houses, where families moved in for twelve weeks whilst their council house was refurbished. Almost every twelve weeks, we had to go into the decamp houses and practically refurbish them. One in particular was almost gutted/destroyed by a family who only lived there for 12 weeks, Kitchen cabinets all ripped off the walls, doors either kicked in, or ripped from their hinges, bath cracked and toilet broken. Bloody disgusting.

Afterwards I worked on council house repairs. Some of the houses, you quite literally had to wipe your feet on the way out.

FatHands and Biffo like this.
  6. itchyspanner

itchyspanner Member

worked in social housing for along time and you soon learn what 2 year old things look like. 2 year old dog ****, food, crusty pants etc......

probably the worst thing is needles hidden around a property.

a coffin in a loft space was a big shock but it was only used for storage

7. Crowsfoot

Crowsfoot Screwfix Select

Then there's the other side of the coin.
    "Immaculate houses with white carpets" (plumbers nightmare) !

Tappy,

8. snezza30

snezza30 Member

20 years ago, I turned up on the first day of a Kitchen fit and the first thing I had to do was remove the original kitchen.

Got my tools out and the started to remove the wall units. Jumped up onto the worktops to remove the Cornice and wondered why someone had appeared to have left a brown furry blanket laying across the top of the wall units......???!!!

It turned out to be like a Lasagne of grease, dust, grease, dust, grease, dust etc......about 50mm thick. I went back to the van to get some Latex gloves and as I came back in, the "Lady" of the house realized what I was doing and stated " Oh yes, we haven't bothered cleaning up there for a couple of weeks as we knew we were going to be getting a new kitchen fitted soon..." A couple of weeks..!!!!!!........ More like a couple of decades!!!!!!!

But that's not what shocked me the most,......the most shocking thing was the fact that both she and her husband were both prominent Doctors/Surgeons .............:eek: :eek: :eek:

As for what the inside of the Oven looked like,.....You can imagine!!!!

Snezza.

9. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

Yes and you never used a dust sheet or wiped your feet coming in, when you did that job for us!:p:p:p:p

10. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Once went to a house where the woman bred cats. When I pulled up outside before I got out, I could tell I was at the right place it absolutely stank.

She had well over 30 in a 1960's terraced house and she kept the windows closed to stop them getting out. You can imagine i

Afterwards, straight home everything washed down me, my clothes, tools the lot. Days afterwards, I could still smell the place days later

11. Eww, crazy cat woman not good, lasagne grease carpet pretty gross too. I keep a pot of Vicks in my van for emergencies such as these.

12. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Went to a empty flat which a friend own, to identify a strange smell, & a wet patch in kitchen,traced it to a leaking cast iron stack in the corner which was boxed in.
    Removed the ply to gain access & the space was packed full of used nappies & sanitary towels,dozens & dozens of them from floor to ceiling, the smell was awful & overpowering, stomach churning.

Slight off topic, funniest couple I had, was many years ago, went to a house, leaking radiator, I was shown to the room, & off to one side of room was two trestles & coffin complete with the deceased gentleman, the lady took great pleasure in showing him to me.:eek:
    Had a very uneasy hour in that room.:(

The other one I had the job to relaid a concrete path for a lady in her 60's, she was selling the house, want some things sorted before selling.
    Started laying concrete, had a mixer churning away, when I noticed her pop out & empty the contents of a pot into the mixer.
    Turned she hated the place, but her husband like it, so she put his ashes in the concrete, felt rather strange troweling the concrete though.:eek:

Last edited: Oct 10, 2015
  13. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Builders and patios eh!

14. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Man I have seen some bad ones. Live maggots covering an entire floor. Dog mess through out the house. I even had to put a new front door on a functioning knocking shop. Some sheepish looking fellas squeezing by I can tell you.

15. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

I laugh about it now, he must have found it funny, as he never came back & haunted me.:)

16. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Did score a spectacular own goal in my own place.

In my self build I have a bathroom in a garage that is below the sewer pipe so I fitted a chamber with a pumping solution. Wife, four kids inevitably it gets blocked. One time, when it was backed up I had disconnected the outlet pipe but had forgotten to switch off the isolator - once the obstruction was cleared it kicked into life and shot 300+ ltrs of s@#& into the air like I had struck oil. Of course what goes up has to come down on top of me and the cars.

Wife wouldn't even let me in the house to clean off - I had to strip down and get hosed off on the patio. To add insult to injury, I had to back into it with wellies and clean it all up and its no fun trying to get all that off cars, door seals, trim, wheels then the patio all the plants, it is no fun picking used toilet paper out bushes.

17. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Now that is funny!

18. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

My wife did as well, she was stood well back and saw it happen. Aapparently the look on my face staring up at what was to come down was priceless.

KIAB likes this.
  19. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

Hope you kept your mouth shut :eek:

KIAB likes this.
  20. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Not so much the house, I never went in, but I laid a driveway for what turned out to be an alcoholic, every morning we turn up, he'd be in the same clothes with a big wet patch in the crutch area were he'd wet himself!!!!!, his wife bless her was lovely and so apologetic about him.