Wot bath?

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Welshmally, Mar 3, 2009.

1. Welshmally

Welshmally New Member

Just looking for a bath: what materials should I definitely avoid? There seems to be a bewildering choice (acrylic, resin, cast iron etc) often with brand names like 'Lucite' but it's hard to know which is best. Our budget is around £400.
    Any advice greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    WM

2. HOTDOG ø

HOTDOG ø Active Member

3. Welshmally

Welshmally New Member

Would that be a 'no' to acrylic then, and what are the disadvantages?

WM

4. HOTDOG ø

HOTDOG ø Active Member

Decent acrylic baths are OK But decent acrylic baths are probably more than £400.

Cheap acrylic baths are flimsy, flexible, easily damaged and prone to poor sealing along the tiled edges.

5. naughtyboy

naughtyboy New Member

steel baths are rigid but theres no flex in them so if theres alot of movement from the floor they wont move with it also they are slippery to shower in and cool the water down quickly . most standard 5mm acrylic/fibreglass baths are fine if fitted correctly or you could go for a carronite bath or superspec both can be purchased under £400

6. Dick Puller

Dick Puller New Member

We install lots of these and boy are they tough!!
    I've dropped a hammer from ceiling height into one, it bounced of the bottom of the bath and not a mark!!
    Also recommended if you & the wife are going to be doing a load of * in it or even if it's you and the wifes sister!!
    http://www.carronbathrooms.com/carronite.php

[Edited by: admin]

7. Bonedry

Bonedry New Member

Agree with DP

Carronite baths are the dogs danglies if its acrylic based baths you are after.

Kaldewei are good value for a steel bath too..

8. G Brown

G Brown New Member

I agree Carronite are excellent. So are Bette and Kaldewei. Avoid any budget bath, especially budget acrylic.

9. starlight tiles

starlight tiles New Member

b and q steel bath £80. brilliant

10. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

The German steel baths are superb value for money and excellent quality. Carronite baths are very nice too. Just don't buy a cheap acrylic bath. They are truly dreadful.

11. Crowsfoot

Crowsfoot Screwfix Select

Beware pressed steel baths chip very easy!
    Some have plastic legs, which snap in half after just a few years.

We fit these http://www.globalbathnetwork.co.uk/familybaths/fbgranadatwingrip.htm

And they are pretty good too and come with a 25 year guarantee (can't be bad), in-fact I have one in my own house which is a recommendation in itself.
    Get the 8mm though not the 5mm.
    They also do a cast iron one, however, as I've never fitted one in cast, I am unable to recommend these.

12. G Brown

G Brown New Member

Some have plastic legs, which snap in half after just a few years...I think Homebase sell this rubbish!

German steel baths are excellent. So are good qualirty composite/acrylic. Spend as much as you can on a quality bath.

13. imran_

imran_ New Member

Kaldiwei for me. And they do have some neat profiles, if a bit expensive. Maybe acrylic if you're * in there and have a plastic fetish :)

14. Welshmally

Welshmally New Member

Thanks all,

What do you reckon to these? www.bathroomevolution.co.uk/cat--Baths--DesignerBaths.html

Prices look good, how about the materials?

WM
    Sorry, not sure how to do one of those snazzy links!

15. HOTDOG ø

HOTDOG ø Active Member

Probably borderline OK. Most are 5mm acrylic ( the minimum acceptable) but those are budget bath prices so don't buy without looking at them first.

16. GKU

GKU New Member

Welshy - go for a "Carronite" , good baths for the money , very strong etc , etc - have installed loads without any problems mate ;)

17. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

Avoid those baths in your link Wewlshy, go for a Carronite, Kaldewi or Bette at your budget.

18. Welshmally

Welshmally New Member

Trouble is, the Carronite that Mrs WM wants is 1800 quid!:-( Bog standard design is no good, sadly.

We're after a freestander - specifically the double slipper, so what sort of problems would I get with those that I looked at?

WM

19. G Brown

G Brown New Member

Cheap double ended baths are the biggest nightmare ever! They are flimsy and really horrible. Go and have a good look at them in a showroom. Free standing baths MUST be decent quality, if not you will really regret it.

20. G Brown

G Brown New Member