Would this work? Adjustable roller catch?

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by dvddvd, Feb 10, 2017.

1. dvddvd

dvddvd Well-Known Member

Hi all, I Was thinking of putting a new flush oak front door on the house.

I didn't want a door handle on it, just a lock and a large 1400mm pull handle on each side.

I don't want to use a Yale style night latch lock due to getting locked out all the time, so thought of an adjustable roller catch ? A heavy duty one ?

Any thoughts?

Could add a door guard, just a bit extra security in case it blew open ?

2. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

To satisfy usual insurance you need a 5 lever mortice lock to BS standards.

Astramax likes this.
  3. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Best to re-think!:D

4. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

Would a decent door closer do? Alongside a quality lock as Chippie suggests it will be the same as most personnel doors on business units and similar places.

5. Bertiebasset

Bertiebasset Member

Chippie244 is correct, to satisfy the insurance company you should use a 5 lever mortice lock, using a lesser lock just because you don't like getting locked out, wont wash with an insurance company, should you have any intruders, the yale (PBS1) auto deadlock is more than suitable which is about £60 . With home security, don't take short cuts, be safe, not sorry

Bertie

6. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

So what's wrong with a mortise lock with catch and knobs?

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

Bertiebasset likes this.
  7. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

He doesn't want one, try reading the post.:)

8. dvddvd

dvddvd Well-Known Member

Hi sorry I meant I will be having a 5 lever lock fitted. It's just the door handle and latch.
    I won't be having.

Wanted a flush face door with just key hole for 5 lever lock and large pull bar handle.

I didn't want a Yale night latch as I've had one fitted before and you go outside and door slams shut and you don't have your keys and your stuffed !

So it's just a way to keep door closed when it's not locked, heavy duty roller catch or door closer? Thanks

Last edited: Feb 10, 2017
  9. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Nowt wrong with that dvddvd.

10. Bertiebasset

Bertiebasset Member

You can go ahead with that, that comply' s and will serve your needs.

Bertie

11. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

If you are having problems with locking yourself out, then install one of these out of direct sight:
    http://www.screwfix.com/p/master-lock-8-key-combination-key-safe/93263

When mounted properly they are incredibly secure, I spent about 20 minutes cutting one open with an angle grinder. I needed to get the master keycard and the person with the lock code was on holiday, but when I finally did cut in, the card had melted:oops::oops:.

12. Mr. Handyandy

I reads the post dumbo.

His idea was to have something that doesn't automatically lock when closed. a mortise as I said would provide.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

13. dvddvd

dvddvd Well-Known Member

Hi thanks thanks, I've just had a quick look and a door closer is out of question due to having 15mm clearance at top of door with reveal. So it looks like either a heavy duty roller catch? Are they any good?

Or the spring loaded metal bar door closers? Or the ones that go into door with chain?

14. dvddvd

dvddvd Well-Known Member

Thanks they are useful the little key safes.

I was working at a hotel on the coast and the owner had gone out for the day and I locked myself out and left my Yale key inside.

They had one of the little key safes fitted outside and it was either sit outside all day in the rain or try to get back in, my phone wallet and keys were inside the hotel

So I sat and twiddled the numbers on the key safe after 3 mins it opened! 10000 choices and it took me 3 mins!

I bought a lottery that night......won sod all...

15. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Lying again.

16. dvddvd

dvddvd Well-Known Member

17. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

A perko, they work but watch your fingers, check you have enough clearance for the mechanism.

18. Mr. Handyandy

I am not lying chippie. Don't start on this thread. You will lose again.

19. dvddvd

dvddvd Well-Known Member

Thanks just wondered how much pull they have? My door is central in a frame with 2 glass panels each side of the door.

So it would be attached to a 30mm frame with glass each side ? Don't want it pulling the 30mm frame ? Or will it be fine ?

20. DVD, you've sussed out the pitfalls :)

Yes, it can be done. But if you rely chust on a roller type catch, then it would have to be mighty stiff to prevent the door being blown open by, say, another house door being opened. And if you made it that stiff, then it would be really awkward to physically open in normal use.

So, possibly a decent concealed closer, as you suggest, along with a 'normal' roller would work. That comes with its own issues, of course - like always having to hold the door open - eg when carrying yer shopping through, or chatting to yer postie.

Really not practical long term, I don't think.

I wonder if there's something that works a bit like a car door handle that's suitable for normal doors. Ie, it looks like chust a fixed handle, but it pivots and acts on a latch when pulled on?