would you be happy with this?

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by FatHands, Nov 16, 2015.

1. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

evening,
    I would be grateful of opinions on this job - opening up a doorway. Doesn't look right to me, but i am not a builder. Basically there is no cement between the lintel and the block work which doesnt look like its sat square. Builder is planning on chipping bits of bricks between the lintel and block work above (you can see there are some in already) and then using a mortar to infill. The thing is, i measured that if he put the lintel a course lower it would have been about right for the bricks to go on top!
    IMG_1428.jpeg.JPG

2. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

I'd be happy with it Fats,,, but only because it's not in my house. :p:p:p:p:p

tore81 likes this.
  3. FatHands

hey JJ :D good to hear from you :)
    It just dont look right to me mate. :confused:

4. DNR Plumbing

DNR Plumbing Active Member

Where did structural engineer say it had to be??

5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Should be sat on proper padstones, not engineering bricks.:(

Those strongboys should be in further than what they are.

FatHands likes this.
  6. FatHands

thanks Kiab. What about the fact of breaking bits of bricks to go on top of the lintel and block work above mate?

7. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

If the engineering bricks are solid they will be fine, as for filling the gap, he should use creasing tiles cut to size instead of bits of brick and bed them in properly.

Creasing tiles.

IM000367.jpg

FatHands likes this.
  8. FatHands

thanks Phil. i need to have a chat with him tomorrow then. have to get my thinking cap on

9. FatHands

edit. the bricks arent solid they are the ones with three holes in whatever they are.

10. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

If the builder dropped the lintel another course, you'd still end up with the same sort of gap to be filled in (think about it,, once he's put another row of bricks on top) Also I'm assuming a door frame is going in to the space?? If it's dropped, there might not be room to put a full height door in. ;);)

11. BMC2000

BMC2000 Screwfix Select

Engineering brick are usually silver, don't have holes in em either. They look like facing brick.

12. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Last edited: Nov 16, 2015
  13. BMC2000

BMC2000 Screwfix Select

The cat 30 and cat 50 in all my local merchants are silver grey and have no holes in them!

14. vivaro man

vivaro man Active Member

BMC, we call the red engineering bricks class B's. At least that's what I ask for when I have occasionally needed them.

15. They are engineering bricks. They are fine.

Fill above lintel with semi-dry strong mix of cement mortar.

Wedge pieces of slate between brick pad and lintel. (Slate because it doesn't crush - unlike clay tiles)

Also, nice to see min. 150mm bearing each end.

Astramax likes this.
  16. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Trust in your builder as the advise on this post is way too diverse, Construction Project Manager has answered fully. The standard of work shown in your photo looks to be of a high standard but I would agree with KIAB re the positioning of the strong boys.

KIAB likes this.
  17. Mr Progress

Mr Progress New Member

Another fine example why Strongboys should be sold and hired with instructions of correct use and I bet the incorrect pin has caught the builders arm a few times?

18. Mr Progress, if you want instructions then there should be a full temporary works design by a competent person (qualifications?, experience? insurance?) with design risk management, risk assessment and method statement for the installation plus design co-ordination for the permanent works.

19. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Strongboys are NOT designed to be used, as in that photo, THEY should be fully inserted to their full depth of the blade, otherwise they canot support their designed loading.
    And using a socket extension bar inplace of a pin, is very naughty.:mad: