Would you reccomend getting into the trade?

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by marksnew, Mar 4, 2015.

1. baldelectrician.com

baldelectrician.com Well-Known Member

There is a future in the industry.
    There are far fewer sparks getting trained than the amount we have leaving the trade.

My son is nearly 16 and he wants to start with me in the summer and go on to an apprenticeship if he / we deem it fine.

In Scotland things are getting better- I know quite a few people who run companies who are finding it hard to gt a good spark

The Scottish Government introducing landlord electrical checks from December is building things up a bit, and that will increase closer to the time.

eric the fish likes this.
  2. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Hi mate. :) Nice to see you posting again. :)

3. sparky Si-Fi

sparky Si-Fi Screwfix Select

Hi Roy, pop in now and again mate to see whats Occuri'n. . . usual banter I see?!

Can we hope the price of these flame proof Cu's come down or we are all out of a job mate!

4. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

hi mark,
    I can't really add much to what has been said by the boys already. That's a really good post by Unphased in my opinion, so Kudos for that Roy.
    I have changed careers and as said, it is a momentous one.
    What i would say is you have to be genuinely interested in something to see it through. I've met a lot of people who do something because of money, or want the lifestyle of someone (or what they think their lifestyle is which is even worse!) who does that particular job.
    I was reading a book a while back where the author summed up what i am trying to say: if someone said they will pay you £1 each time you bounce a ball, how long could you keep that up? Personally, i would last a few minutes, others may be able to do it for life on the basis, its just a job, so just think of the money.
    Do your research and then get your plan of action together.
    Wishing you the very best of luck with it

Last edited: Mar 13, 2015
    Bazza-spark likes this.
  5. stateit

stateit Screwfix Select

Good plan Si-Fi. Especially the Funk/Soul. Seriously.

There's no fun if you can't let others have it.

6. sams

sams Member

my lad came to work with me after leaving school at 16, hes now 25 passed all his electrical exams and now wants out, hes had enough of this trade and to be honest i dont blame him- wish i could do the same .

7. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

There is nothing wrong with this trade, Sams. It's the ******** customers and the ******** health and safety that is wrong. Come the election....:)

FatHands and KIAB like this.
  8. sparky Si-Fi

sparky Si-Fi Screwfix Select

9. BLUEJACKET

BLUEJACKET Active Member

I'm out of it, decided to accept an offer to do building maintenance on a good wage with van allowance, 37hrs a week...

B J

unphased likes this.
  10. TallPaul1878

TallPaul1878 New Member

If I could go back in time I would choose a different career. I'm only in my early 30's but doing this job day in day out takes it's toll.

You can put masks, goggles, anything you like on but dust just gets everywhere and it irritates your skin.

Using power tools every day gives me pins and needles and in winter it gets so cold you can't hold your tools on site.

I just can't be bothered with it. I intend to do a couple more years just to get my debts sorted out and then I maybe would like to go into tutoring at college.