Wrong pipe size

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Neylandboy, May 3, 2016.

1. Neylandboy

Neylandboy New Member

Could somebody please explain to me why anybody would advertise a product and all its fittings as a certain size, when it's not? I'm building a marine aquarium and needed some black pipe work for inside the tank. I have tank connectors that need 32mm pipe. I look on screwfix and yes! they have 32mm pipe in black. So I buy the pipe and some 90 degree and T fittings - all labelled 32mm. When I get home, what do I find? ALL the pipe and fittings are 36mm. I wasn't given the wrong size, that's the actual size of 32mm pipe and fittings -36mm. It's the same with there 40mm pipe and fittings, they're 43mm. Why would you advertise something when it's plainly not what you say it is? Beats me.

2. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

32mm ID !

3. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

Plastic pipes are a law unto themselves push fit and solvent weld will not mix and manufacturers work to a nominal internal dia as Mr Rusty said. So depending on how thick they make the walls and their idea of nominal you can get well flummoxed. Try using compression fittings to adapt they are a lot more forgiving in how they fit.

4. Neylandboy

Neylandboy New Member

Ok, so show me where it says ID 32mm? and seeing as ALL the fittings for the pipe fit over the OD of the pipe, why say 32mm? Why not state the actual size quoted on the pipe? 36mm? The fittings say 36mm on them, but 32mm on the bags. Were is the logic in that? I now have to find 32mm black pipe elsewhere.

5. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

SF sell Blue mdpe - 20mm, 25mm and 32mm pipe which is OD.

6. Neylandboy

Neylandboy New Member

Which goes to prove my point. If they sell one product with the correctly advertised dimensions...........

7. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

Y. pipe sizes are often a pain. my business is in pneumatic transport systems. Old systems are 100 ID with a 4mm wall and called 100mm systems. New systems are 110 OD with a 2.3 mm wall and called 110m systems. Not compatible. Old systems continue to cause headaches as the OD at 108 is so close. Not funny when doing extensions and the wrong tube is delivered.............

8. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

Can you post a link to the product/s you are referring too?

9. Neylandboy

Neylandboy New Member

10. If I was building an aqaurium, I would be going to an aquarium supplies company, who specialize in the supply of the components you require.

11. Neylandboy

Neylandboy New Member

and if I was like you and obviously made of money, I would too, but I'm not, so I DIY, which I also tend to enjoy doing. :)

12. You would have been supplied the correct pipe size for the fittings you have.
    Trying to cut corners always costs more in the long run.

13. Neylandboy

Neylandboy New Member

Or, I could find a supplier of pipe work that is the ACTUAL size advertised. How about that? Although obviously not Screwfix.

14. Screwfix supply waste pipe and do not supply the 32mm o/d pressure pipe that you require.
    For the sake of the Fish, I would advise you seek some advice on your aquarium build.

15. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

What are you trying to connect the solvent weld pipe to, maybe a photo would help as well

Hear your frustrations but really solvent weld is only compatible with solvent weld fittings, even then, your best to stick to same manufacturer for all components if you can (not always possible I realise)

Same as push fit waste pipe, compatible with push fit fittings

Poly pipe, Speedfit, etc, again, always recommended to use components from same manufacturer to alleviate any slight discrepancies in pipe sizing, both internal and external

You may get lucky and find one pipe connects to another non related item but that's probably more down to luck

32mm compression fittings will allow some tolerance on pipe sizes but they can be a bit bulky if space is tight. Anyway, a bit more detail and photos will help............................And chill out a bit mate. Your buying standard pipe and fittings for a non standard application, expect a bit of aggro along the way :eek:

16. Neylandboy

Neylandboy New Member

and I suggest you go suck eggs. I've been building tanks for some years. I know exactly what pipe does what. If you'd read my first post you would see the word "black". I don't usually use "black" piping, but on this occasion, I needed to, so I consulted my local merchants in my area and what do you know! Screwfix sell 32mm "black" pipework. So I rush down to my local, friendly Screwfix man and purchase some of his "32mm" black pipework and fittings! Only it's NOT 32mm it's 36mm and so are the fittings. If any item is advertised as a given thing then the very least that I would hope is that it is that thing.

17. Neylandboy

Neylandboy New Member

Tell me, if you saw a car manufacturer advertise a new car with a 2litre engine, you buy it and when you get home you look under the bonnet and find it's actually a 1500, you'd expect the seller to stop advertising it wouldn't you? You'd not be happy, would you?
    I know it's not a car, but the premise is the same. I saw 32mm pipework that I needed advertised, I get it home to find out it's not 32mm it's something else, but wait! it's really 32mm, because that's how they sell it. All they need to do is sell it as 36mm pipe, which it is, and I would never have been bothered.
    People who put up with shoddy advertising get what they deserve.

18. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

Take em back, get a refund and go to a propper plumbers merchant.
    Ask for 32mm waste pipe. ;-)

19. He has bought 32mm waste pipe instead of the 32mm pressure pipe he requires.The two different are not compatible but he will not admit he got it wrong.You would see the size difference straight away just by looking and by weight.

20. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

Yeah I know.;-)