wylex board

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by hard as no nails, Nov 19, 2014.

1. hard as no nails

hard as no nails New Member

hi people Im after some advice, what options do I have with regards to updating this fuse board? its built into the wall and plastered flush, can you get a skeleton board to fit? what experience have any off you guys had with them? thanks in advance. photo 2.JPG photo 1.JPG

2. flateric

flateric Well-Known Member

I have dealt with these before .......... If you are fortunate sometimes ??????????? there may be a bit of slack cable to pull enough to mount a surface board. If not you may be able to raise the board to give you a little extra depending on the strange directions cables tend to run

FatHands likes this.
  3. hard as no nails

suppose i could get a board that would cover the existing and leave it in situ, never thought of that, cheers

4. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

I don't know how many ways you need but I done a similar one in a maisonette a couple of years ago where only 4 circuits were involved so I ripped all the guts out of the old box and fitted a small 4 way c/unit without rcd and used 4 rcbo's, worked out very nicely with just enough room.

FatHands likes this.
  5. sparky Si-Fi

sparky Si-Fi Screwfix Select

A 12 way rcbo board will cover that nicely, remove all the cut-outs at the back with a stanley knife and if need be, wago all the cables for extra length and crimp the 6mm upwards for a tidy job at terminations

Mate, ya also need to change that Avatar, Single phase warning stickers are mainly 230VAC :)

FatHands likes this.
  6. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

There are several manufacturers who make flush fitting boards (yours there is a normal board bodged in flush).

If the wall is stud, and there is no steel conduit involved, you could opt to swap out for decent flush board, else, fit a new board over the old.

7. hard as no nails

thanks for the replys, think i will go with fitting a new board over the existing and leave it in situ, point taken about avatar, must have been old stock.

sparky Si-Fi likes this.
  8. flateric

flateric Well-Known Member

Don't worry about it stick your volt meter on you don't see many 230 V readings

FatHands likes this.
  9. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

lol. yeah usually around 242 here