yellowing gloss paint

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by retiredsparks, Sep 25, 2014.

1. retiredsparks

retiredsparks Super Member

Hi Guys
    Without going over all historic threads...what is the current situation of painting over recently glossed internal doors with a new undercoat and topcoat...to prevent yellowing.
    I am looking for a satinwood look finish.
    I know that removal of VOC has caused problems recently 2010 in the oil based products.
    Anyone got latest info.
    All input appreciated
    cheers

2. retiredsparks

PS
    I have asked in painters forum without much success.

3. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Hi RS. I can thoroughly recommend below

http://www.decoratingwarehouse.co.uk/buy/woodstains/primers-preservers/sikkens-rubbol-bl-satura/1317

http://www.screwfix.com/p/zinsser-bulls-eye-1-2-3-primer-sealer-1ltr/10135

The combination of the above I can thoroughly vouch for - bonus no paint smell etc and extremely fast drying with an excellent finish. Whatever you do use a synthetic brush, and you can foam mini roll doors etc if flat panel and stuff.

I cant understand why Screwfix don't stock the Sikkens range of paints (or at least some of them) perhaps Screwfix Pete can elucidate with respect to this matter.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2014
  4. retiredsparks

Thanks JP
    Glad you have recent and practical experience of these products.
    Also glad you picked up on "recently glossed"...as I was concerned that a standard water based paint might react with the gassing off of the new gloss.
    Do you prefer bulls eye 123 to the sikkens rubbol BL primer ?
    Any need to dampen surfaces before starting to paint ?
    cheers

5. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Afternoon RS. I have never tried the Sikkens BL primer but have used the 123 with absolutely top notch results - it stopped resinous bleed through etc in its tracks.

With ref to gassing off - tbqh I cannot really answer that question as have never come across that particular phenomenon m8. My scenario was as follows. Bare wood new doors with plenty of knots - I sanded down with 120 I think, and laid on two coats of the 123 water based. Then on top of that I laid on two coats of the BL Satura, and I am well happy with the end result.
    Also ditto with already glossed doors.
    Some people say dampen before laying on the Satura, but I didn't and everything was ok RS.

All I can say is that the drying time of the respective coats is very rapid indeed and the no noxious vapours really are bonus..oil based paints (except in some circumstances) are largely old hat now..no more noxious paint fumes.

6. retiredsparks

Thanks for your help JP.
    The Lady of the House (wife) will be happy about the no fumes side.
    Bit allergic.
    cheers

7. retiredsparks

Hi JP (and guys)
    What's the recommendation for "brill white" matt emulsion for ceiling....and silk for walls.
    Prefer to use 2 good quality coats that stay whiter for longer.
    cheers

8. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

JP, hate to pi** on your technique M8 but 123 is not at all recommended for use for knotting, BIN is the one to use.

9. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

After re-evaluating my post - it seems I have recommended the correct primer within RS's op parameters. Thanks Astra, and av a good day m8,

:D

10. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

After re evaluating your reply - it seems you have recommended the wrong primer within the Zinsser Co, Inc 'Prime with Zinsser Guide' under the heading Recommended Applications, sub heading Knots and Sap: BIN E*, 123 NR, Cover Stain NR.
    E* = Excellent :)
    NR = Not Recommended :eek:

Thanks JP, av a good day tomoz! ;)

11. retiredsparks

Hi JP
    Been using zinsser BL primer on doors.
    Easy flow,
    no smell
    no wet edge problems
    fast application
    synthetic brush
    fast drying
    good opacity
    satin finish when dry
    Will be top coating with satura BL this week. will update you as and when.
    cheers
    RS

12. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Zinsser BL, is this a new product?

13. retiredsparks

lol............sorry meant sikkens BL primer (and sikkens BL satura to finish off.)
    I was looking at a can of zinsser Perma White on the floor next to me, to be used on rads.
    RS