Yellowing paint.

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by retiredsparks, Sep 23, 2014.

1. retiredsparks

retiredsparks Super Member

hi Guys
    Without going over all historic threads...what is the current situation of painting over glossed internal doors with a new undercoat and topcoat...to prevent yellowing.
    I am looking for a satinwood look finish.
    I know that removal of VOC has caused problems recently in the oil based products.
    I was thinking of using 'Diamond' emulsion.
    All input appreciated
    cheers

2. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Think you mean Dulux 'Diamond Satinwood', it's ok, takes a bit to master if your fussy, roller on and use a synthetic brush to lay off with. Keep a wet edge by spraying with water from a hand held mist spray.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2014
  3. supertosh

supertosh Member

Ive just finished revamping some tired looking kitchen cupboards. Johnston's Satinwood is magic in a tin. :)

4. retiredsparks

retiredsparks Super Member

Thanks Supertosh....but the yellowing ?

5. supertosh

supertosh Member

Satinwood doesn't seem to be as affected by yellowing but all oil based paints will yellow over time.

6. supertosh

supertosh Member

Mist spray? with what? ? Never heard of that before.

7. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Mist spray? with what? ? Never heard of that before.

Water..... helps keep a wet edge and aids flow on larger areas such as doors.

8. supertosh

supertosh Member

Never done it, seen anyone do it, or ever heard of it before. Any water on an oil base finish with do nothing more that screw the job up. Fatty door edges can be eliminated with a quick wipe of a dry oil brush. Certainly, water on oil is sure to create 'flat-spots'

9. R.W_Carpentry

R.W_Carpentry Active Member

Believe astra made the comment referring to dulux diamond satinwood , which is water based.

10. supertosh

supertosh Member

Oh Rite, my error. As most decorators will tell you, using a water mist spray to a surface about to be painted with water based paints is, in-effect, watering the paint down. The door would look particularly patchy and would be grinning. The last thing a decorator needs is a damp, misty environment when applying any paints but esp water-based paints. (esp a finish coat) Unless intending to take 30mins to paint each door-side then there is no real need to worry about fatty edges going off. A quick wipe with a rag or dry brush is sufficient for smoothing out any OTT fatty edges. To keep a wet-edge alive simply paint in squares, marrying each wet edge as you go. Panel doors are also easy enough - panel by panel. Soz for the initial confusion, still boggled at atra's information though. :)

11. Saima33

Saima33 New Member

Can someone help me with a question as I haven't an iota clue how to ask a question on the feed. Anyhow here goes if I used Matt emulsion paint which is 10litres how many tubs would I need for the ceilings? They aren't really big ceilings mind you

12. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

You really need to provide more details.

13. Saima33

Saima33 New Member

Err like but thanks for posting

14. supertosh

supertosh Member

Assuming the ceilings are in good condition, a 10ltr tub of while emulsion will do two coats on each ceiling in 3 bed house.

15. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Message for supertosh.....this following information is taken directly from 'Dulux Trade Professional Product Guide',
    'When applying any water-based gloss or satin always use a synthetic bristle brush and dampen the surface you are painting before applying the product'.
    I personally find a hand held mist spray ideal for this recommendation with excellent results. ;)

16. supertosh

supertosh Member

Damping is significantly different to spraying.... and still doesn't get away from the fact that water will dilute water-base paint on any surface. Most, if not all, of the water-based glosses need to be built up to a proper finish -i don't see how that can be achieved by adding water? After 42yrs in the trade, i have never, ever met a decorator that sprays water on any surface before painting. Any decorators on here that do this?

17. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Read...mist as in damping the surface hand held pump spray (as in garden centre plant spray) as an applicator. What's 42 years got to with it, I retire next year after 46 years but am still willing to learn.

18. supertosh

supertosh Member

Why would a decorator want to pish a finish paint down if flow isnt a problem? I don't get it. Most decorators are happy enough to learn new things as long as they make sense. Im buggerd though if i would screw a door up by mist spraying it with waters first. Sorry mate, imho, it just doesn't make logical sense. Have any other decorators on here ever used this method?

19. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Tell Dulux then pal, I prefer to keep a wet edge going when painting doors in hot weather using a water based finish, you do what you want to do and I'll do what Dulux advise then we will both be happy. It's called moving with the times.

20. supertosh

supertosh Member

No need for negativity! We are all here to learn, help and advise each-other. Of-course, we all do things differently and develop our own style (using the same basic principles) of decorating. Like i said previously, i have never come across any decorators that use this method.

Does it not make sense that using a water-based paint on a damp/wet surface is, without doubt, going to thin the paint? By the time you come to do the bottom panels the brush would be oozing watered down paint.

Hopefully more decorators will comment and take the time to help me better understand how it is a wet/damp door or surface will not thin water-based paint.

Its easy enough to keep multiple wet edges going if your quick enough...