your opinions ?

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by sams, Jun 6, 2016.

1. sams

sams Member

Been asked to install additional sockets to a classroom.

There are two dedicated circuits
    one for PC and IT equipment, the other circuit is for woodworking equipment which is wired through an emergency shut off switch

Now they want 4 additional sockets next to each other, two for computers and the other two for wood working equipment ( apparently the woodworking equipment is PC controlled)

The problem is the two circuits are on different phases so if i put them next to each other there is potentially 400V between the sockets .

Any recommendations ?

2. leesparkykent

leesparkykent Well-Known Member

I don't see what the issue is?

3. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

Not a problem, not even a sticker required these days.

leesparkykent likes this.
  4. sams

sams Member

Thanks, it may be me who's a bit long in the tooth but i always thought it was not good practice and even forbidden to install sockets that could both be touched on different phases

5. Risteard

Risteard Screwfix Select

Unless you are going to be simultaneously in contact with the phase conductor of both circuits (when you shouldn't be in contact with either) then you won't be exposed to 400V.

6. Comlec

Comlec Screwfix Select

I have had problems in the past using audio equipment where the signals are from sources on different phases.

7. nffc

nffc Active Member

I too was under the impression installing sockets in close proximity on separate phases was bad practice. Saying that never seen a reg to back it up in all honesty either.

8. sams

sams Member

I contacted the NICEIC technical helpline and this was there reply :

Good morning and thank you for your enquiry.

There’s no regulation that says that you can’t have items on different phases located close to one another.

Most contractors will put a 400v warning sticker on these items if they are typically ‘within arm’s length’ of each other, but there is no requirement to do so.

Regulation 514.10.1 states: Every item of equipment or enclosure within which a nominal voltage exceeding 230v to earth exists and where the presence of such a voltage would normally not be expected, shall be so arranged that before access is gained to a live part, a warning of the maximum voltage to earth present is clearly visible”.

In a 3 phase installation, there’s never more than 230v to earth so there’s no requirement to put a 400v sticker between the various sockets, but as I said before, most contractors will do. They will also typically label the sockets in question as to the circuit/phase these sockets are on.

Regards

NICEIC & ELECSA| Technical Services

9. philthespark

philthespark Active Member

The most stupid one I ever saw was in a training centre for electricians of all places,attached to the bottom of a 3 phase DB was a single socket, coming out of this was a 20mm bush and coupler and on the other end of this was another single socket.I removed the front from the top socket and it was fed with a red,black and a green/yellow,the black and the G/Y looped down into the lower socket,passing through the top socket box was a single yellow,this went from a fuse on the yellow phase to the bottom socket.The red feeding the top socket went to another fuse on the red phase,this was around 25 years ago and the warning label was nowhere to be seen.Apparently it was done by one of the instructors when they needed an extra socket,they didn't have any twin metalclads in the stores,so he did the best he could with the materials available!

10. Risteard

Risteard Screwfix Select

It has never been permissible to wire final circuits in phase colours anyway.

11. philthespark

It wasn't so much the colour of the wires that bothered me,more what he'd done with them,I dread to think what his pupils turned out like.

12. Risteard

Risteard Screwfix Select

I realise what the objection was - I was just pointing out that the colours were also unacceptable.

philthespark likes this.
  13. philthespark

I know,lol,

Risteard likes this.
  14. spinlondon

spinlondon Screwfix Select

That is just so not true.

nffc likes this.
  15. Risteard

Risteard Screwfix Select

It is absolutely true.

Only DISTRIBUTION circuits (or submains as they were called then) were allowed to be wired in phase colours.

16. spinlondon

To start with, I suggest you try to find a current Regulation which prohibits the use of Phase colours for final circuits.
    Then you should consider whether brown is a phase colour.
    Finally, you should consider what colours you would use to wire a 3 Phase socket.
    Then come back and state again that wiring final circuits in phase colours is not allowed.

The simple truth is: the wiring of single phase colours in any colour other than brown has been prohibited since 2004 16th edition Amd 2.

nffc likes this.
  17. Risteard

Risteard Screwfix Select

Unlike a single phase final circuit there is an L1, L2 and L3 there. So a pretty poor point on your part which just makes you look ridiculous. BS 7671 CLEARLY states that the line conductor of a single phase circuit shall be brown (or marked "L").

It has been a long time since the Wiring Regulations permitted single phase distribution circuits to be identified by phase colours, and they have never permitted single phase final circuits to be so identified.

Even before the 2nd Amendment to BS 7671:2001 introduced harmonised colours these prohibitions existed with the pre-harmonised colours. You could not wire a final circuit in yellow and black or blue and black. (Incidentally, if a circuit was wired in blue and black it would be extremely confusing now as to which was the phase conductor and which was the neutral conductor without careful investigation.)

18. nffc

nffc Active Member

@Risteard - To be fair to @spinlondon you did not originally say single phase circuits. You said "final circuits". Three phase final circuits can be wired in phase colours.

Also you say that single phase final circuits must be "brown or marked 'L'". So if wired in phase colours a simple 'L' marker at termination would make wiring in phase colours in a single phase final circuit permissible. No?

19. spinlondon

Any colour conductor, other than an unsheathed G/Y can be used for line, phase, neutral or earth, as long as it is correctly identified at terminations.
    The means of identification can be either by colour or alphanumerical.
    An unsheathed G/Y conductor can only be used for earth.

nffc likes this.
  20. nffc

nffc Active Member

There is nothing wrong with admitting that you were wrong @Risteard