Zinseer Paints and their uses

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by mikey j, Feb 10, 2016.

1. mikey j

mikey j New Member

What's the difference between Bulls Eye 1-2-3, B-I-N and Cover Stain Primer Sealer (besides one being water based, one shellac based and the other being oil based)? ie for covering interior water stains, mould, tobacco, grease, crayon. bare plaster, gloss paint, on walls etc prior to overpainting with vinyl matt and silk vinyl? and which would you use for exterior woodwork, walls etc

Can a water based stain block really be as good or better than an oil based equivalent?

Ps when would you use the preference of a spray stain block to using it out of a tin?

Which would you advise to use of these three products for interior and exterior decorating and the pro's and cons of each? ie quickest/best for repainting emulsion over? is one better than the other and if so why?

Perma White Mould and Mildew Proof, views on this too please.

I know this is long winded, but, there's so many options and I want to find the best products as none of them are cheap, but I don't mind paying extra for the right paints.

Many thanks in advance.

2. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Wow....multi questions....best refer to the Zinsser website

3. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

Astramax likes this.
  4. mikey j

mikey j New Member

Thanks .I've Just started doing odd jobs in a small hotel and painting (problem preventing) is what takes up most of my time. Been asked to advise what I need to get regarding stains (of all kinds) on ceilings, walls, corridors etc and how to best get rid of them, prior to being re painted over with emulsion (usually with matt vinyl). I was concerned about the stain block flashing through, prior to then overcoating with emulsion.

I then have to also 'touch up' any unwanted 'scuff marks' . A friend mentioned Zinseer products and I had a look at them, but found the differences a bit confusing.

5. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

For water stains on ceilings use 'Cover Stain', scuff marks use '123'.

mikey j likes this.
  6. mikey j

mikey j New Member

Not being funny, just curious mate, what's the difference? Is there one in particular that sorts all stains?

7. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Cover stain is oil based so water stains will not penetrate through it and 123 is a water based formulation that will cover most staining as long as they are not water leak type stains. Cover stain would do the job on most stain marks 123 and BIN are also a high adhesion primer with differing use depending on what you are priming ie wood, plastic, laminate, ceramic, zinc, lead etc.

mikey j likes this.
  8. mikey j

mikey j New Member

Cheers mate, much appreciated

9. Eurodecorating

Eurodecorating New Member

Painted a bathroom for my client a 16 months ago , bathroom looked horrible, white color been covered with damp all black i have cleaned the ceiling and wall with a dry tissue and put 2 coats of ZINSSER PERMA WHITE on ceilings and walls looked perfect.Client rang me not long ago, asking to do some more painting and decorating jobs in his house. I went to his house the other day, first thing i have taken look to his bathroom , it looked exactly the same when i painted 16 months ago.

By the way you could get Zinsser from Screwfix its cheaper than brewers

mikey j likes this.