Zinsser Wallpaper Cover Up

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by StevesST220, Feb 4, 2016.

1. StevesST220

StevesST220 Member

Has anyone used this product? It is meant to save the need to strip wallpaper prior to painting. I would prefer to use something like this rather than stripping paper then having to use lining paper (obviously would only use it on 'good' wallpaper).
    I've heard it advertised a lot on the radio, but, cant find it anywhere (even in b&q as the advert stated). Also, cost per litre would be usefull.

2. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Why not use Zinsser Bullseye 123? our hosts stock it.

3. StevesST220

StevesST220 Member

I haven't seen anywhere on the Zinsser website that Bullseye 123 is suitable for wallpaper covering specificaly. Im wondering if 123 would make wallpaper bubble, as many other products will. This new Zinsser producf is desigbed to seal wallpaper so it is teady for painting

4. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

It'll all depend what sort of wallpaper is being painted onto.

'Paper' paper with colouring can generally just be painted on normally.

Any gold or silver design may not cover well, and any vinyl type paper will be another story.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

5. StevesST220

StevesST220 Member

As soon as i can get hold of a tin i will let you know exactly what it is suitable for.

6. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Zinsser 123 is recommended to paint over vinyl wallpaper. Most wall covering will bubble up once painted over with a liquid coating but will disappear when fully dry.
    Used 123 many times for this purpose with no problems. However having said that 123 is designed to adhere to the vinyl surface to provide a key for further paint finishes.

7. StevesST220

StevesST220 Member

Thank you for that Astramax, good info to kniw. It looks to me that it's either 223 or Wallpaper Cover Up, depending on the type of paper.
    Has anyone seen Wallpaper Cover Up in any stores yet?

8. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

You would probably find it at trade distributors such as Brewers, Dulux Decorating Centre etc