Making Perfectly Straight Cuts in Plywood

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by yellowsocks, May 31, 2012.

1. yellowsocks

yellowsocks New Member

I am trying to make some fitted shelves.  I have so far cut some plywood with a (hired) table saw with useless results,  wavey unstraight cuts, ripping etc. I can't imaging an ordinary circular saw being any better either.  I have found my own domestic quality jigsaw is better but will not cut a straight line.

What do I need inorder to do this?

I have access to a fein oscillating saw,  I notice that there is an accessory availble for this that is advertised a being a mini circular saw,  http://compare.ebay.co.uk/like/370513193656?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar&cbt=y,  would this be suitable given that I only need to cut a couple of sheets?

I would be grateful of any suggestions.

2. removed 7

removed 7 New Member

It might seem a little outrageous, dear, but have you tried an ordinary, sharp handsaw?  It's powered by elbow grease.........

If you must use a power tool, such as a jig-saw, then it's a simple matter of clamping a straight edge to the ply,  then the sole plate of he jig-saw follows this guide..........

Lucia.

3. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

A plunge saw with a rail attachment is your best bet, or a humble circular saw, run against a known straight edge clamped to the plywood, should be able to create the straight cut that your looking for.

tore81 likes this.
  4. Barriethejoiner

Barriethejoiner New Member

5. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

It's a good idea, that guide.

But it could do with being 9ft long, otherwise you'll have to start the cut(for a 8ft sheet) while the sole-plate of the saw cannot be properly placed against the guide.

Also could do with placing the straight edge in further, and cutting the other side too, but this time with the off-side of the soleplate against the edge(for those occasions where you need to cut in that direction), then you'll be set up for cutting in either direction.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

6. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I'm intrigued as to why the OP can't get a straight cut using a table saw as that is exactly what they are made for. Is he trying to use that without a guide?

longboat likes this.
  7. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

chippie 244, the OP could be trying to use a small portable table saw, to cut up full 8' by 4' sheets, without any help. Even with a small fence on it, this would be very difficult to accomplish. ;)

8. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

If that is the case he would be better off getting help or hiring a bigger table.
    I take it he hasn't got a skilsaw or he wouldn't be talking about using a Fein, a great tool but not for this job.
    A jigsaw and fence is also unlikely to produce a good result.
    I used to use a homemade fence like the one shown but on that picture the motor would hit the clamp.
    His best bet would have been to get B&Q to do the rips for him.

9. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Any good timber yard will cut the shelving to size for you for a small cutting charge, tis not worth faffin about to save a few pence!

10. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

They normally like you to have bought the timber off them in the first place.

11. big all

big all Screwfix Select

heeelllooo and welcome   barrie the joiner
    nice to have another chippy here
    as i am sure you have used and drooled over a plunge but to be fair the splintering on ply is drastically reduced so the extra cost may be worth the better finish
    i find at this stage we need to know the span and depth off shelves likely loading and plus any planned edging to support the weight

12. removed 7

removed 7 New Member

I don't see the logic here........

Anyone who can't follow a straight pencil line with any handsaw or powersaw, really ought to ask someone else to make the cut.

Moreover, if using cheap plywood for shelves, what does it matter if the cut is slightly wonky or splintered on the edge?

It's not as if it's quality English Oak, is it?

Pfffttttt!

13. G Brown

G Brown New Member

It is actually very easy to cut ply straight with a circular saw or handsaw!

A Fein will not do it, they are for making small cuts.

14. Tembo11

Tembo11 Member

for hiring the table saw you could have paid for the material to be cut at a DIY shed

15. hallbeck

hallbeck New Member

Festool ts55

16. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

Like a dafty DIYer is going to fork out for a Festool.......even though it is the best sheet cutting tool ever devised ;)

17. hallbeck

hallbeck New Member

Capt - he asked what to use - and we both know that the Festool is the best thing. In fact i am going to go and get mine out of its box just so i can look at it for a bit!!

18. TheDoctor1972

TheDoctor1972 New Member

Hi I'm in a similar situation but the width of the boards I'm cutting are all different but are 8 ft long. It's a shame screwed don't do a 8 ft long clamp then we fit that to the board and use it as a guide ...... Just saying . Thanks

19. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Sash clamp!

20. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Dynamite

Joe95 likes this.